Steam in a gas oven

Will steam from the pan under the stone and the spray from the bottle
cause the gas oven to rust over time

Thank you

Rdeal

I believe your gas oven will vent the steam. It is a safety feature of gas ovens I believe. You may instead need to trap the steam from the dough in a vessel such as a dutch oven rather than doing open bakes using external steam sources such as a pan.

I get a white film from how hard/minerally my water is, but it wipes clean. No rust despite now about six years of baguette and ciabatta making with water getting thrown around. I do prefer to bake my regular breads in an enclosed vessel though. They turn out better, which may just be a function of my focus. If I were determined to make the open oven work better, I’d hopefully fine-tune the process and make prettier loaves.

Pretty much everything that gets baked in an oven, meats, veggies, bread, creates steam to some degree. I read when you toss a pizza on a hot pizza stone the moisture in the dough contacting the stone is immediate converted to steam. There is a baking method involving a water bath that would make a bunch of steam in an oven, more than spraying inside an over for a loaf of bread.