Starter Doesn’t Seem to Wanna Rise

I am having trouble with my sourdough starter maybe someone can hold my hand to help me get me started. The reason why I have a sourdough starter is because I want to start a sourdough business.

I started a sourdough starter from scratch from just all purpose flour and lukewarm water. I take out some discard and feed it once everyday before 1:00am

In my dorm the temperature usually rests around the 70-75 degree Fahrenheit range on the cool setting. I don’t know if that really does anything or not, but I thought it was the temp. at first, but I don’t know

The starter gets bubbles, but it doesn’t seem to really rise at all. After about 4 hours later, I can see that it kind of stays where the rubber band is.

Hopefully someone can provide some insight. Thank you I would really appreciate it.

See here

Same advice. Bit of a read but easy to follow steps.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll check it out

I feel like it should have grown more in 5 hours.

How do I know when it’s going to peak? So every time it peaks I could just make bread out of it? When it peaks I don’t have to do anything to it and just put it into the recipe.

I saw a recipe that took some of their leaven in a separate bowl and fed it and let rise for 5 hours then used all of their risen leaven. Do I have to do that or can I just use the peaked starter? What works best?

1 Like

You need to feed it for quite a few days until it is strong enough. Start off with smaller feeds and once a day. As it gets stronger increase the amount and begin to feed it twice a day.

What feed is this? Ratio?

I take out 1/2cup of discard and throw it away or make pancakes with it

I feed the remaining starter 1/4cup lukewarm water and 1/2cup AP flour.

Keep on doing that. If it bubbles up within 12 hours then repeat twice a day (every 12 hours). If it slows down for whatever reason then once a day.

Very early days yet. You want to feed it for at least a week or two before using.

Do you have scales? It’s easier to work with weight, as it’s more accurate and will help you with bread recipes too.

But I don’t really want to feed it twice a day just once a day. It waste too much flour.

I don’t currently have a scale with me. I want to start a business then expand

Unfortunately, at this stage… there will be some discard. The starter has to be fed according to it’s needs and it will take a while for the starter to mature.

What you could do is keep less so discard is less. How about a feed as follows…

• 1/8 cup starter
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/4 cup flour

In a much smaller jar. Less discard.

P.s. where do you live? I’m in the UK. It’s late here so I will reply asap but bear in mind the time difference. It’ll be a little while before it’s ready to make bread but keep at it.

I know there has to be discard. I take out 1/2cup of discard every day when feeding and make pancakes or toss the discard I take out.

With whatever is left in the jar I feed it 1/2cup AP flour and 1/4cup lukewarm water.

So if I reduce it to your specifications, what will happen to the starter

With my specifications, I will have to feed it twice a day, but with yours only one day

P.S. I’m in California

As long as you keep the same ratios! it is the same feed.

So instead of feeding, for example,

• 1/4 cup starter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flour

You can feed…

• 1/8 cup starter
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/4 cup flour

and it is the same ratio but less discard. And you only need a small jar.

This way if you do need to feed it twice a day (as you should be feeding it according to the strength of your starter) then you won’t be wasting as much.

I have no specific recipe. Instead I feed according to how strong the starter is. If it peaks within 12 hours then it’s fed twice a day. If it doesn’t then once a day. When making a starter it’s a lot about reading the starter. How much does it need to be fed and how often.

Let your starter dictate to you. If it’s peaking too quickly then feed more and more often. If not, then feed less and less often.

Once your starter can have a healthy feed and eat through it quickly then you can try a recipe.

How am I supposed to know the strength of my starter?

And if it bubbles within 12 hrs I’m supposed to feed again? 11-12 hrs after the first feed?

How much and how quickly it rises.

If it bubbles up within 12 hours and starts to fall then yes, feed again! 11-12 hours after the first feed.

Once your starter peaks and begins to fall it is hungry.

As you can see from my earlier post it took 5 hrs to get a small rise, but it doesn’t seem to be falling to the point where I need to feed it twice

It is 5 hours and bubbles are beginning to break the surface. It think after 12 hours it could do with a feed. At this stage it is difficult for you to tell as this is your first starter and reading a starter takes some experience. You’ll have to do a bit of trial and error.

Feed after 12 hours. If it does well then all well and good. If it slows down then you know you should slow down the feeds.

Whatever you do if it comes to a stop do not try and attempt to wake it up by feeding more. That’ll be counterproductive. Always ask first.

Your starter is doing well from what I can see. Keep up with the schedule and see what it does. If in any doubt ask before doing anything else.

Stick to the recipe, unless anything goes wrong, as it seems to be working. It just needs time!

Ok. Thanks so much. I will keep feeding it my way and check back in on Thursday.

Thanks so much for the help.

1 Like

I think that’s the best plan. Unless something goes wrong then carry on. You can always ask if you’re unsure. If it should stop bubbling up then ask first before feeding otherwise continue with what you’ve been doing.

I look forward to the update.

1 Like

Here is an update as promised.

Instead of discarding 1/2 cup. I started using 1/2 cup starter and discarding the rest because there was barely any.

This is the highest it’s gone

1 Like

Looking very good indeed! Now we’re just going to switch to a healthier feed and if it responds well you can try your first recipe.

• 1/4 cup starter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flour

That is roughly 1:2:2 (by weight) and if your starter looks like the photos you just posted within about 6-8 hours ish you know you have a healthy strong starter.

Try the new feed. If it bubbles up with no trouble, and peaked within 12 hours, then do two feedings a day 12 hours apart. If it slows down then don’t overfeed it. Should it take longer than 12 hours then aim for once a day. But from the looks of things there should be no issue.

So if it bubbles up within 12 hours I should feed it again and if it doesn’t bubble up within 12 hours don’t feed it. Should it be the other way around?