Starter Doesn’t Seem to Wanna Rise

Why the other way around? If it bubbles up within 12 hours surely it would need another feed. If it doesn’t bubble up within 12 hours then it wouldn’t need another feed until the 24 hour mark.

Every 12 hours as long as it bubbles up and is nice and active within that time. If not then once a day every 24 hours.

But i’m sure, from the looks of things, it will be fine.

How long after feeding did it look like the photo above?

So just feed it once a day with the adjustments you gave me?

Feed it…

• 1/4 cup starter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flour

If it bubbles up, and looks like the photos you just posted, within 12 hours then feed it twice a day (every 12 hours).

If it is slower and doesn’t bubble up within 12 hours, but it does bubble up within 24 hours, then feed it once a day.

In other words you are feeding according to the strength of your starter.

1 Like

Ok. Why do I feed it twice?

Also, what’s the purpose of less starter

Once a starter had bubbled up and peaked it will brgin to fall and run out of food. So it will need to he fed again.

Purpose is not less starter but rather a bigger feed ratio of fresh flour to starter. More food.

Should I feed it again? It didn’t rise to the same height as last time, but it does look pretty bubbly.

Did it rise and fall a bit? Looks like it might have done. There appears to be a line indicating where it may have risen higher.

Feed again but this time take photos at hours 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12.

Lets see how it matures.

This is starting at 0mins at the very beginning of today’s feeding. I won’t be able to do every increment because I’m going to an event. I’ll do what I can.

1 Like

That’s fine. As long as we can get an idea of how strong it is.

Ok. Gotcha

This is what it looks like in 4 hrs

1 Like

It’s going very well! That’s more than doubling (the jar does get wider) in 4 hours. Excellent. Will be interesting to see how it does periodically over the next 8 hours.

You have a starter! We’ll just see how it does, give it a few more feeds then I think you can try a bake soon.

1 Like

P.s. I’m eight hours ahead of you. So won’t be up by the time it comes to the next feed. So from what I can see you can do this feed of 1:2:2 twice a day every 12 hours. Feed again before you go to bed.

I might even choose to increase the feed soon.

When I do a second feed, do I have to do discard?

Do I take out a 1/4cup and get rid of it and feed my starter or do I use the 1/4cup and discard everything else?

You keep 1/4 cup starter and discard the rest. Feed that 1/4 cup starter with 1/4 cup water + 1/2 cup flour.

So now we know I’m supposed to feed it twice a day what do I do now?

What do you think of this recipe:

How did it go over the 12 hours? Did it rise more? Did it start to fall? If so, when?

Let me have a look at the recipe and i’ll get back to you.

I didn’t feed it again last night. But I will start to feed it twice starting now.

It did rise a lot more by the time I got back. By morning it fell.

OK. You need to feed it every 12 hours now. If it falls within that 12 hours then we might adjust the feed again. But for now twice a day should be fine. We’ll aim for a trial bake midweek.

1 Like

Ok. Sounds Good