Starter day 7 FLAT🥵

First… wow there is so much information out there. And I am thankful I arrived here. I keep reading Abe’s and Otis advice and it is very calming to have this guide…so thanks in advance.

I am following a recipe to create my starter doing 70gstarter/50gap/50grye/ 100gwater.

Day 2 I had tons of action and doubling(Fl tap)
Then I went digging and read that I shouldn’t use this or that water.
After using boiled/cooled tap then spring water….my starter is flat.

From day 6-7 NO BUBBLES, A smidge of expansion.
Should I starve it for 24 hrs?

Thanks for the support

Skip a feed or two. You won’t be starving it as it hasn’t eaten through the previous feeds. Keep warm and stir every 12 hours till you se some activity.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!
I will update tomorrow as it will be 36 hrs from the last feeding.
Very grateful of you

Well good news!
My starter reacted well to skipping feeds. Last feed was 1/19. Today 1/21 and she was doubled and I think she might still be growing.
1.Should I feed tonight?
2. Tomorrow Monday 1/22 I travel. Should I contemplate my absence in the amount she is fed? I leave Monday pm and return Thursday am.

I am so happy!

1 Like

Looks very healthy to me. It is fine to refrigerate your starter for a few days then pick up, where you left off, once you return. I would put the starter in the refrigerator active. So feed tonight and hopefully by morning it’ll be all bubbly like this. Then put it in the fridge.

Try a 1:2:2 feed of 70g starter + 140g water + 140g flour.

Refrigerate before it begins to fall.

Since it has only just woken up it might take to being refrigerated just fine or it might need a little coaxing when you get back. But I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

Enjoy your trip and we’ll be here for when you’re back.

P.s. you have no time to dry some starter so here is a very quick cheat drying method. Take some of this active starter and rub it into some flour Make sure it all ends up like flour and resembles dry starter. Then seal in a ziplock plastic bag or place in a jar and put it into the fridge. Now you have a back-up.

Update.
After being away for a few days, starter woke up nicely with tons of activity.
I decided to do 2 first attempts. The sandwich loaf I think came out nice. Yet the boule not so much. It had a pyramid growth, big pockets and gummy. Is this because it needed more time in bulk fermentation?
Thanks

Normally i’d think big caverns like that is due to under fermentation however the crumb around it is ok and the pan loaf turned out fine. So i’m thinking you didn’t pop the big bubbles when shaping. Very goood first loaves and not long after your starter matured. Very nice.

I am sooo thankful for this community and the support. I can see the progress every day.
This is my second boule. In the first one I definitely got impatient with fermentation. This one I went with growth, time and flufyness(if it’s a thing.
It rose nicely and I’m proud of the look

Now inside it feels still moist and a bit gummy.
Should I bake longer at a temp lower that 450?

Also id like to ask, in bulk fermentation when I touch and it’s still sticking to my fingers, is that a sign of under proofed?

Always grateful

Which recipe are you following? How are you baking the bread? And how soon are you cutting into it?

Hi
I’m using a simple sourdough bread recipe from pantry mama. (Ingredients in picture)

I’m baking in a DO 5.5Q(pic attached)
30 min @ 450 with lid
15 min@410 no lid

I think I waited a bit over 2 hrs to cut

Always grateful for your recommendations and knowledge

Ok… so let’s quickly analyse this:

1: Bread Flour - So you want at least 12% protein. Bread flour is white flour that is 12-14% protein.
2: Depending on flour 70% hydration can feel sticky. If you feel it’s too sticky then try holding back some water.
3: 50g starter to 500g flour is only 10%. So you’re looking at a long ferment. I cannot see the rest of the recipe but I would expect about 8-10 hours and even longer if it’s not very warm. By which time there should be enough gluten development so it becomes more easy to handle but it isn’t a low hydration dough for 100% bread flour.
4: Salt does strengthen the dough so if you alter the salt then that “might” affect how it feels.
5: Baking method seems sound. You can try adjusting it to 35 minutes lid on then take the lid off till it’s a lovely golden brown.

Here is another “similar” recipe but you need it to be 70% hydration and it’s no knead. Just needs time.

• 500g bread flour
  • 350g water
  • 10g salt
  • 20g mature starter
  1. Mix the dough then cover and leave for 16 hours at room temperature (although still keep your eye on it from 12 hours onwards).

2. Give the dough one set of stretch and folds about midway but whenever you can is fine. So if you mix it before bed then you can give it a stretch and fold in the morning then cover till ready.

3. Pre-shape and final proof for about 2 hours.

4. Bake.