Sprouted Lentil Loaf

Recently, I have experimented with adding sprouted lentils to my basic whole grain recipe. For this recipe, I sprouted 150 grams of dry lentils. I first rinsed the dry lentils and then left them to soak for about four hours in a sprouting jar. Then I drained the jar, rinsed a couple of times and let stand. I rinsed a couple more times. The lentils were ready to use in about 48 hours, at which time I completely drained and then refrigerated the lentils to retard further sprouting. I mixed the dough the following morning.

Ingredients (2 loaves):
325 grams whole wheat
325 grams Kamut
150 grams spelt
50 grams barley flour
75 grams oat flour
75 grams millet flour
850 grams water
150 grams starter
18 grams salt
150 grams dry lentils, sprouted

I began with a 2-hour autolyse, using all of the water, whole wheat, Kamut, spelt and barley flours. Then, blended in the starter, then the sprouts and finished with the millet and oat flours, with the salt blended into those flours.

1 Like

I’m all in for your venture into using sprouted grains! :+1: Love those things, like little texture nuggets. When I go though a sprouted grain phase, I will sprout more grain than I need for one loaf, portion out the sprouts, and freeze them rolled up in baggies. Doing this I don’t have to wait a few days for the grain to sprout to make bread. Your recipe looks extensive. :smiley:

The recipe really isn’t as complicated as it looks - it is the basic recipe that I use for a whole grain loaf of bread, with a minor adjustment. I often include 50 grams of garbanzo flour. But, with the lentils, I didn’t think I needed another legume, so I increased the oat and millet flours to compensate.

I don’t sprout that often. When I do, I try to time the sprouts so they are ready to use when I plan on mixing the dough.

Those loaves look and sound tasty!