Spelt Thin-Crust Pan Pizza

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Just tried this while on holiday without my pizza steel etc. Loved it! Crust is amazing and works really well with just a basic oven & tray. Thank you Melissa!

You’re welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

Just to make sure I understood the baking times correctly. You bake the crust first for 5-7 minutes, then add sauce and bake 10 minutes, then add toppings and baking another 10 minutes? A total of about 25 minutes or slightly more.

Yes, it’s a really long bake because the dough is relatively wet, and the toppings are mountainous, but if you want a softer crust or you see the edges browning too much for your taste, you can always shift things around e.g. sauce and toppings all at once for only 15 minutes (total 20-22 min).

Thanks so much Melissa! I’m going to try this next week. If successful my husband will be happy, he loves pizza :slight_smile:

Any chance this can be made with Einkorn flour instead?

I think that would be tasty. With einkorn, you’ll need to reduce the water amount because it is so sticky compared with spelt. You might also consider adding a pinch of crushed vitamin C tablet (or lemon juice) to tighten the gluten. There’s more info on that in this recipe and you could use the hydration level from it too: