Sourdough Stromboli

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Made this the other day (half recipe) with the spinach filling - very delicious and easy. Thanks so much for the great instructions and photos!!

Patricia

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for sharing your experience :slight_smile:

I made this yesterday, it was delicious, the steps are very well photographed too.
Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you!

1 Like

I made this Stromboli using a cinnamon roll style.

Wow cool! What kind of filling did you roll in there?

I spread roasted garlic on the dough, then a layer of store bought olive tapenade, followed by shredded Parmesan cheese and a little EVOO.

Yum! Sounds delicious

Hi,
Would this work using only white bread flour?
(Substituting bread flour for the quantity of whole wheat flour).

Thanks JPP

Absolutely!
You might start with 375g of water and work your way up if needed, since bread flour absorbs less water than whole grain flour. You want the dough to be dry enough you can knead it by hand and wet enough that it’s supple.

This came out great, but the bread tastes a bit salty. I’m wondering if it’s because I used ham, salami, cheese in the filling?

That’ll do it :slight_smile:

Yeast-Leavened Version

• 425g bread flour (3 1/8 cups)
  • 225g whole grain flour (1 2/3 cups)
  • 450g water (scant 2 cups)
  • 1/4 tsp yeast (you can vary this up to about 2 tsp, for much faster timing than the sourdough recipe)
  • 14g olive oil (1 Tbsp)
  • 10g salt (2 tsp)

Hi, do the Stromboli need to sit for 2nd proofing after putting in and sealing the filling before baking?
Standard bread recipe would usually require another proofing step after shaping. Wonder if that is required for your recipe. Thank you.

I usually don’t bother with a second rise apart from the time it takes me to organize myself and have the oven preheated. I tend to carry the first rise pretty far though. The bench rest can be seen as a bit of a second rise too (similar to how pizza balls rise for a while before rolling out).

If your filling isn’t particularly juicy, you can do a second rise after the shaping if you want. If your filling is on the wet side, I wouldn’t though, as it could make the dough on the base of the stromboli soggy.

Multi grain sourdough stromboli. 200g bread 100g ‘00’ 100g rye 100g spelt 100g wwheat. It’s what happened riffing off of pizza night, and loving this site. I never made anything like this before. It was a hit! Stuffed with swiss chard, anchovies, roasted garlic, and mozzarella. Love this as a vegetarian option. Egg washed and covered in grated Parmigiano. Dipped in a herb infused marinara. Can’t thank you enough for the inspiration Melissa!

2 Likes

Oh my, that looks and sounds amazing. Nice color on the stromboli too – did you do a brief broil to get the toasty top?

High praise indeed! Thank you. No, though I have often used that technique to finish things off. It was baked on the top rack on a very hot pizza stone (1 hr preheat @ 490 degrees f) was all. Now if I could only button these jeans…

Gotcha, sounds like top rack is the way to go.

(The fuzzy joggers of winter will soon give way to drawstring shorts of summer. #whatsabutton :wink:)

1 Like