Sourdough starter has… died?

I have had my starter for about a year and baked many a great loaf. Over the last 2 months something has happened and my starter will not rise… I can’t bake with it… I don’t know what happened.

I had been storing it in the fridge when not in use and taking it out to feed when I wanted to use it. I had been feeding a 1:2:2. Recently it seems very liquidy, no rise just some bubbles. I saw a thread with similar issues and Abe recommended some tips. I’ve been trying that with a 2:1:1 feed every 12 hours and still nothing. HELP.

Photo 6 hours after a feed.

Why a 2:1:1 feed every 12 hours when there has been no activity at all? If it were me i’d have fed it once then left it alone till it showed signs of activity. If you have been feeding it come what may, with discarding and feeding fresh flour, you’re in danger of just ending up with fresh flour and water. Do nothing for now, keep warm and just stir.

It had activity (more than the photo I’ve posted) bubbles, no rise (similar to the photo attached from the other thread I was referencing)

I noticed it starting to decline in activity even more over the last 3 days so I moved to 2:1:1 24 hours rather than 12 and that seems worse :disappointed: it gets runny within 3-4 hours despite starting thicker.

I will hold off and continue to stir… :crossed_fingers:t3:

Leave it for now. When it gets liquidy again just give it a teaspoon or two of wholegrain flour to thicken it up, with no discarding, then leave it again, keep warm and just stir. When it gets liquidy again then repeat. Once you see activity then begin with modest feeds. Take it from there.

1 Like

18 hours currently. No rise - I gave it a stir. Bit more bubbles than yesterday - no acetone smell yet. But already liquidy. I’ll wait until 24 hours then add a tablespoon of WW flour? Or can I do that prior

Wait. 24 hours after the last teaspoon or two of flour added give it just enough to thicken it up again. For now keep warm and give it a good stir.

1 Like

Give it a very good stir and keep warm. Sounds, and looks like, you really overfed it. It might take a few days before it wakes up. Good news is I can see some fermentation albeit very little. It’s critical now that you wait apart from thickening it up slightly with some wholegrain flour as and when it needs it. No more than once every 24 hours if it gets too thin.

1 Like

I appreciate your help :disappointed: sigh.

It’ll bounce back. In fact this is easier then having to feed it every 12 hours. Put your feet up and enjoy the break.