Sourdough Pizza

Yes… The levain build is exactly 120g for the recipe.

• 10g starter
  • 55g water
  • 55g bread flour

Overnight to be used when mature

If you wish to refrigerate the dough balls then shape them when the dough is 30-50% risen then refrigerate. When ready take them out bring them to room temperature then they’re ready to be made into bases.

But shaping while cold into dough balls (the first way) will be easier to handle. You can do half one way and half the other to compare. Just divide the dough into two. Refrigerate one half and make the other into dough balls. See which way you prefer.

Great! Wow you have been so helpful! Thank you!

I just started it again…haha I’m determined. I used 510 caputo 00 pizza flour, and 90 of tehachapi red wheat flour.

I’m now just science curious, you mixed the flours and water first before adding levain in order for it to act as an autolayse, correct?

That is correct. An autolyse. Makes for a great dough.

Really hope you find success and looking forward to results.

I guess you’ve got 120g starter ready to go. Well if you feed it twice a day then you will have. Always active.

I’ll read more about autolyse, it all seems so confusing to me but I’m so so new to it so I’m sure I’ll pick it up.

Yes, I used my starter earlier today to make a 120 levain (for the recipe) with whole wheat. It’s bubbling and ready to go.

1 Like

Helps to use wet hands when handling the dough. Run your hands under the cold tap and shake off excess water.

Best of luck.

@anon44372566 has given you great advice, but I figured I’d chime in with some background info : )

I wrote this recipe when I was briefly into very specific levain builds: 1:1:1, 1:2:2, even mixing up a specific flour blend for feeding my starter when making breads e.g. 10% rye flour and 90% bread flour. But I’ve moved away from that and can say that beautiful pizza is possible with many levain builds.

The most important aspects of this recipe to adhere to are:

— Make the dough just hand-kneadable after the initial mixing and add flour to your countertop and dough if needed. Do this and your dough will be manageable at shaping time. “Just” hand kneadable means soft and supple, in contrast with pasta or bagel dough which are hand kneadable but stiff and dryer.

— No matter how long you retard the dough or don’t retard it, aim for doubling or close to it. This is a little hard to track if you flip and de-gas the dough because you’re storing it in the refrigerator for a long time, and you want to keep the top of the dough from drying out.
But pizza is quite forgiving if you overproof in my experience.

You can play with:

• a few more or less grams of oil
  • the whole grain flour to refined flour ratio
  • the types of flour (Tipo 00 is ideal, for sure, but other flours can make pretty great pizza too)
  • water (more whole grain flour means you’d need more water. more refined flour means you’d need less water. Goal: a hand kneadable dough)

My most typical pizza formula these days is a little heavier on the whole grain (and very easy to memorize):

• 400g refined flour of some sort, AP, Bread, Tipo00…plus more as needed for kneading
  • 200g whole grain flour of some sort, kamut, yecora rojo…etc (they do behave differently and absorb different amounts of water)
  • 400g water
  • 100g starter
  • 1 tbsp evo
  • 2 tsp salt

I hope this helps! Making pizza is one of the most fun and rewarding aspects of sourdough baking in my opinion, and the dough is quite versatile. You can use it to make garlic knots, calzones, stromboli…

1 Like

Oh my gosh you guys are both so wonderful!!! My pizza / dough turned out amazing!! I’m obsessed! I’ve tweaked with it a bit but im absolutely loving it! Thank you for being so helpful and encouraging /knowledgable! xoxo stay healthy!

2 Likes

Glad you’re having success. Bon appetit.

Do you happen to have a business email or is this forum the best way to reach out to you for questions? No worries if you’re not comfortable just thought I’d ask. I’m a private chef in LA!

I’m an amateur baker in London. I help whenever I can but by no means am I an expert. While there might be some chefs or bakers on this forum I would think its more about being a place where anyone can collectively share their ideas, bakes and questions to fellow enthusiasts. We help whenever we can, we learn from all our mistakes and we enjoy everyone’s successes.

You can click the help button and get in touch with the owner of this site and see if they can point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Thank you!!

How do I get my crust to be airier? More bubbles in the crust? It seems just a tad dense. I want it to really have lift and those gorgeous bubbles.

Because you were finding it sticky I played it safe and advised an earlier refrigeration. Now you’re getting the hang of it you can be more adventurous and take @Fermentada advice and bulk ferment for longer.

Ok so basically:
from the instructions you gave me above…
after i autolyse (step 1) and do step 2 and 3 (oil and salt then set of 4 stretch and folds), at the end of step 3 I should let it bulk ferment until it’s more like 70-80% risen (is that the extra bulk ferment you’re talking about)? then do a final stretch and folds and let it refrigerate for as long as i want about (48 hours)?

Or should I do the final stretch and fold, shape them into balls and refigerate (max time 48-72 hours) until ready to use?

Yes, that is correct. Melissa is in favour of the dough doubling but you can increase it slowly as you get used to bulk fermenting for longer.

Then I think it would be best to gently tip the dough out onto a floured surface (no need to stretch and fold as that comes with the shaping, next…). Divide the dough up into equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place the balls of dough in an oiled tray with a bit of space in between. Clover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge till the next day.

Or after the dough has finished bulk fermenting follow Melissa’s advice for the rest of the recipe. Might be the same as mine but just have a look.

Ok great! so helpful!

I think the only bit im confused about is when she says this:
“No matter how long you retard the dough or don’t retard it, aim for doubling or close to it. This is a little hard to track if you flip and de-gas the dough because you’re storing it in the refrigerator for a long time, and you want to keep the top of the dough from drying out. But pizza is quite forgiving if you overproof in my experience.”

is she basically saying if you decide to do a slow ferment and put the dough directly in the fridge for a slower fermentation, you have to take it out to degas it (why??) and flip it so the air in there doesn’t dry it out (but it’s covered?)? And shes saying that part is hard to track because if you degas you lose your marker on how much it had risen.

I think my method will be to let it rise to the fullest it can be, double, and mark that down in terms of time (in a warm kitchen i feel like 6-8 hours?). Then do as you said, shape and put them in the fridge until ready to bake. And, again, the balls can be stored in the fridge once shaped for 48-72 hours right? I’ll play with it. Sorry for all of the questions just making this a part of my repertoire as a private chef :slight_smile: and my speciality hasn’t been baking / bread and i want it to be!

I haven’t tried Melissa’s recipe yet but I do intend on doing so soon. For me to answer your question I’d have to have tried it myself or perhaps @Fermentada can help.

I think you’re doing great as you are. You’re getting good pizzas! And that’s the main thing. Since you’re liking this way and it suits you then the next progression would be to wait till the dough is 80% risen after the last stretch and fold then proceed onto dividing and shaping into balls after which put them in an oiled tray (try and find a deep tray) covered with plastic wrap and into the fridge till you’re ready to use them. A day or two should be fine)

When ready bring them up to room temperature and proceed as normal.

Awesome! Can’t thank you enough for all of your help! Also you’re definitely not just an amateur baker! I’ll reply if i have any other questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best of luck. Hope this next step proves successful.

Thank you!