Sourdough Pain de Campagne

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Is there a way that this recipe can be written up for the people that do not have the luxury of owning a home mill. To dangle this lovely tantalizing bread recipe in front bread bakers and only offer it to the few that already have home mills is very unfair, If you are going to offer up a recipe, you need to also offer an alternative as to using already milled flours. To cater to the few is wrong and unfair. So please make this right for all.

I’m sorry you felt the recipe wasn’t directed at people who don’t have home mills. I like to highlight with photography the beauty of both wheat berries and different flours, and this time I did put a photograph of wheat berries in the recipe post. But included in the ingredients is both the weight and volume of flour (links to flour too) needed to make the bread. It’s not in any way imperative that you mill the flour it at home. I hope you’ll give the recipe a try!

Do you let your dough come up to room temp after you’ve proofed it in the fridge?

Or do you take it from the fridge – in the proof basket – and put it directly into the baking vessel?

Also: I’ve been heating my Dutch oven in the oven as it comes to temp. And then – when everything is ready – I flip the dough into the super-hot Dutch oven from the banneton. Is this the usual way to do it?

Sometimes I bring the dough up to room temp and sometimes I don’t – mostly depends on what the dough looks like or how floppy I think it might be (keep it cold in that case).

I always preheat my clay or cast iron for at least 30 min, and I rarely drop the dough directly into the baking vessel, but many people do. You can see in the photo gallery for this recipe that i scored the dough on a piece of parchment before lifting it into the hot clay baker.

I keep old scraps of parchment (this pop tart recipe has me stocked in old parchment for a while https://breadtopia.com/whole-grain-pop-tarts/ )

Lay the parchment over the banneton, and then a cutting board on top of the parchment, then flip and lift off the banneton.
Transfer the parchment with the dough into the hot baking vessel.
Score before the transfer if you’re being fancy with patterns or if the dough is stiff. Score after the transfer if you suspect the dough will splay open fast.
To prevent dents in the sides of your dough from the stiff parchment, you can pre-crumple it.

Here is a scoring tutorial on Breadtopia’s instagram (much of the same info that I’ve given above)
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE4MDUxNTk5NDE2MTAyNjQz?igshid=syn7zgxq5rg9&story_media_id=2050139723734568086_190293076

Thank you! Great info.

Although I do want to try Red Fife (and Turkey Red), I’m working my way through some flour stock, so made this with a mix of the end of 2 bags: WheatMontana White Whole Wheat and King Arthur Flour’s Wholemeal (Irish style whole wheat) in place of the Red Fife. Used my usual WheatMt white AP and Breadtopia bolted Rye. I think I missed fully developing the dough, but not a bad bake and it tastes delicious. My loaves are lighter in color without the red fife.

3 Likes

Looks amazing!
Leah

1 Like

Beautiful bread and photos!

Thank you!

I really like the size loaf, this recipe makes: easy to handle during the process and a nice medium loaf after baking.

1 Like

Eureka! Melissa comes to the rescue again! I’ve used parchment to transfer my loaves in the past but always been bothered by the pleats it made in the loaf. It never occurred to me to crumple the paper. Such an easy fix and so embarrassing not to have thought of it myself. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

I can’t remember whom I saw doing it, but I didn’t think of it myself either :slight_smile:

I think I and maybe you since we were looking at her doughnuts … saw it on www.mydailydourdough.com. I’m pretty sure that’s where I saw it first :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have made this bread twice using organic sprouted berries. The first time I made I used the recipe as written but this time I used 160 grams of sprouted red wheat berries and 40 grams of sprouted rye berries that I milled and then used 200 grams of organic bread flour then followed the recipe as written.
My bread came out awesome!

That’s lovely!

I made the dough and it was too wet. I am wondering if my starter is more hydrated than what you use for this recipe. What starter hydration did you use? 100%? (I tend to keep my starter wetter)

Yes, my starter is 100% hydration. I do add a decent amount of water during lamination and folding too. Lowering the recipe hydration to accommodate your wetter starter would work fine. Thanks for trying the recipe!

We’ve tried it twice and it hasn’t risen. The first time was super gooey. The second time we tried with a bit more flour. What’s the most likely problem?

Super gooey seems strange as I almost struggle to get all the flour incorporated during the autolyze stage.

Are you making any substitutions? And are you using a scale or the volume measurements?

As for not rising, does your sourdough starter rise other dough formulas?

We used a scale and weighed the berries before grinding the flour. However, this is the first time we’ve ground our own flour. We had to use a cleaned out coffee grinder. Maybe ground it too fine or not fine enough or maybe we should have used the measuring cup options
As for the starter, it has always done a good job with rising other breads and it is active and bubbly—but 1) it has been a few months since last used and 2) doesn’t seem to be as bubbly as in the past.