Sourdough Multi-wheat Fruit and Nut Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

This looks amazing! What happens if we want to use the flours we have on hand? I have bread flour, red fife, rye, and Turkey red (all purchased via Breadtopia, and the last three whole grain). Could I use a combination of these? Many thanks for your advice. I love your recipes, and use them almost exclusively.

I added walnuts and raisins to my simple sourdough recipe and I tried to be very patient with the bulk fermentation and I’m happy and chubbier with the results :blush:

1 Like

Can one use a regular bread pan if not having a Pullman ?
Thank you.

Looks delicious !

1 Like

I don’t have a Pullman but I used my Dutch oven. My experience is basic and utilitarian

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoy Breadtopia’s recipes. Thanks for trying them :slight_smile:

You can definitely substitute as your inventory dictates. With 60% of the flour being bread flour, you have a lot of flexibility with the remaining 40% that’s whole grain flours.
(Large amounts of einkorn flour would call for a drop in the water amount. And if you went with all rye for the 40%, you’d have a very sticky dough.)

If you want an all whole grain version of this, I’d try this recipe:

Sure! The volume of a large Pullman pan is 208 cubic inches.
13x4x4 = 208

Calculate the volume of your pan. Let’s say it’s a medium USA pan 9x2.75x5 = 123.75 cubic inches

Now divide the desired pan volume by the recommended pan volume:
123.75 / 208 = 0.59
Round it up or down: 0.6

Multiply all the recipe ingredients by 0.6 and you’ll have a dough that fits the medium USA pan.

Edited to fix sq to cubic :person_facepalming:

I’m guessing that Breadtopia’s oblong clay baker would be an appropriate size for the recipe as written. Is that a good guess?

I think I would stick to < 550g flour for the oblong baker.

Here is a short video of me making @Benito 's miso and black sesame recipe, which has about 420g flour. There is some space at the ends of the baker, but not a lot.

Melissa Johnson shared a post on Instagram: "Miso and Black Sesame Sourdough with high extraction turkey red flour, inspired by a recipe of @bread_md posted in the @breadtopia forum. So tasty plain and for dinner as egg salad sandwiches. 

#sourdough...

Here’s a link to that recipe if you’re curious: https://forum.breadtopia.com/t/miso-100-whole-wheat-sourdough/

Here’s another dough, divided in half, between 400 and 500 g flour each.

Based on those pics and your vast experience with these matters, I’ll trust that advice! I’ve already calculated the 70% in order to use my smaller Pullman loaf pan. Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

This bread is delicious! I have made it twice, once at the full size and once divided into 2 standard loaf pans. I didn’t scale the recipe at all, so the two standard loaves were on the small side. I found the hydration a little high for me to manage the first time — I could not shape it at all, just dumped it into the pan — so I cut back the water by 10-15g the second time. Maybe it is my mix of flours…I used KA bread flour, KA WW flour, durum flour and whole rye flour. This is a great and tasty way to use up dried fruit that needs using!

1 Like

Just made two lovely loaves of this bread! But now I have 2+ lbs of rouge de bordeaux and khorasan wheat and I am not sure how to use them. Can these be used as whole wheat flours in any recipe? Can they stand on their own, or should they be mixed with other flours?

Thanks.

1 Like

I think rouge de bordeaux can be subbed in for whole wheat flour in any recipe, though it will taste and smell more like “baking spices.” Khorasan is a little weaker from the gluten structure standpoint, so I would sub it in keeping that in mind.

You can do searches in the Breadtopia blog with each flour/wheat to find all sorts of recipes, from breads to biscotti and matzo. For khorasan, you should search both “kamut” and “khorasan”

That’s interesting you had a wet dough. I’m glad it worked with pouring dough! It could be the flours since Breadtopia bread flour is higher protein than KA, and I’m using fresh-milled flour, which I think is a very tiny bit more thirsty. I suspect when I happen to use dried fruit that’s is old and petrified :} it absorbs more water during the bulk.

Excellent. I will! Much thanks.

1 Like

I put the lid on my large Pullman pan for my latest bake of this recipe. I liked the squared off top and noted that slightly more dough could fit.

1 Like

Cherries, figs, raisins
Toasted walnuts
Bread flour, hard white, durum, and bono rye

520g total flour for a snug fit in the oblong baker. I used baker’s percentages from the recipe to calculate the ingredients.

Cool bulk ~55F in a closed off but not heated entryway about 12 hours. Room temp 68F final proof 2 hours.

2 Likes