Sourdough help

@adrianna Good morning! I’m personally in the Arizona mountain time zone in the USA. Just so you know, though, I am not on the computer every day nor do I check it all the time. That means even when you post something to me, it could still be hours (or days, even) before I’ll see it and have a chance to respond. So, if it seems like it’s quite a while before I respond to you, that’s why. The beauty of the Internet is that it won’t matter what time of day or night you write to me. It’ll be there for me to read when I access my computer.

Have a great day!
Leah

Thanks Leah. I feel like I’m bothering you & Abe with all of my questions. My starter has had some bubbles in it but it’s just not making alot for of progress. So at this point, I’m not sure what to do. :crazy_face:

I sent you an email. I think find yourself a small jar, some wholemeal flour and pure pineapple juice. Let’s jump start this starter.

Ok. I’m not sure if I will be able to do that because I am on Chemo and not allowed to go out because of the virus. And my Husband doesn’t like going out to look for things like that. But I’ll ask him. Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:.

I am sorry to hear that. Hope you’re taking good care of yourself. Tell me… Are there any good bakeries that sell sourdough near you? You can ask them if they could give you some starter. The pineapple juice will help but not entirely necessary. A small jar, wholemeal flour and water which has been boiled and cooled will do.

I’m sure there is. I will check. And I will see if I can order the flour from the internet. Thanks :+1:.

1 Like

Will your husband buy some fresh basil leaves? Just in case you cannot find a bakery I have another cool idea.

Probably.

:+1:

Ok… Let me know what you’ve managed to buy or if you managed to get a starter from a bakery. Then we’ll take it from there.

It will probably be a couple of days. I’ll check back in with you when I get those things. Thanks :+1: !

1 Like

Question: is whole wheat flour the same thing as whole meal flour ?

Whenever you’re ready. Can’t harm to remove some of your starter and top it back up with a small feed. You never know it might pick up. Keep safe.

Depends on where you live. I think in some countries there’s a subtle difference but for the purpose of making a starter both are fine.

What we’re looking for is the outer shell of the grain which has all the good stuff. Both have it.

Got it :+1: !

@adrianna God bless you, Adrianna and may God’s healing hand be with you! I’m a 22+ year cancer survivor! My heart and prayers are with you!

Love,
Leah

Thank you very much :heart: !

I’m going to take Abe’s suggestion.& remove some starter and feed it & see what happens. I’ve sent my Hubby to get some whole wheat flour. We’ll see what happens. I may have to start over. :frowning:

Here is one plan I have in mind Another interesting way to make a starter

I stuck this one in the cupboard as it was warmer and got caught off guard as to how active it was.

Got it :+1: !

I discard excess starter into a medium size jar (e.g. holds about 400 grams) and keep it in the fridge to avoid having to feed it even monthly. Once I have about 250 grams of starter, I mix it with egg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and oil to make waffles (or pancakes) for 2 for breakfast. The waffles have a sourdough bread flavor that can be quite addictive. Google ‘waffles from sourdough starter’ for recipes. If you don’t have enough of this ‘discarded’ sourdough, you can easily add equal amounts in weight of flour and water to make up for the deficit in starter. The only downside for stretching your starter this way is that the waffle or pancake you make will be less sour. But hey, sourdough bread I buy from Whole Food Markets and bakeries are not all equally sour either.