Another interesting way to make a starter

Popular in Greece I think. I’ve tried it myself and the results are impressive. Yeasts grow everywhere. On grain (sourdough starter), fruit (fruit yeast water) and on leaves (basil starter). For as long as the leavening power of these wild yeasts have been known there have been all sorts of inventive ways to cultivate them.

What you will need:

• Fresh Basil Leaves
  • A jar
  • Warm water
  • Flour

Soak the basil leaves in warm water for 24 hours.
Then for the first feed use the basil water and flour.
Then subsequent feeds use regular water.

I’m warning you it can be very vigorous.

3 Likes

I’ve made grape yeast water starter and read about so many fruits that make greater yeast water to raise bread. This is the first time I’ve read about basil being used. I’m assuming as with the fruit yeast water that it would be best to use organic basil or your own garden grown basil. That sure looks vigorous Abe, very cool idea.

I think organic is the best way to go and if you have basil growing in your garden even better. This was my first time experimenting with it and was more out of curiosity. Shop bought fresh basil. Was very surprised at how active it was. The starter practically climbed out of the jar. Think I’m going to give it another go.

@anon44372566 “The starter practically climbed out of the jar.” It’s alive!! :laughing:

Sorry! Couldn’t help it! It’s the mood I’m in; kind of crazy today!

Leah

1 Like

We all have days like that @Leah1. Let it out :grin:

1 Like

Interesting! Does the bread take on a basis flavor when you make the starter this way?

Thanks for sharing this interesting method for creating a starter! Back when I first became interested in baking sourdough bread, I made several failed attempts at creating my own starter and ultimately ordered a seed starter from Breadtopia, which I have been using ever since. But after reading your post and since I was harvesting some fresh basil from my garden to make pesto, I grabbed a couple extra leaves to give it another try. After the second feeding I got some explosive growth, almost tripling in volume, but then the next 2 feeds I got no growth and a strong cheesy odor. After some quick research I found out that Leuconostoc bacteria had likely produced the initial growth and odor. I also read an article about using acidic fruit juice for the first 3 feedings to reduce the pH, which inhibits that bacterial growth and also favors yeast growth. So I tried adding some lemon juice to the smelly starter. I also began another new starter using half basil water and half lemon juice. The newer starter did not have the 2nd feeding growth spurt or the cheesy odor of the first one, but by the 3rd day it started doubling and within a few more days it was tripling in volume after feedings with no odor (but with a nice lemony fragrance :slight_smile:). The original smelly starter also settled down after 3 days of drinking lemon juice. So now I have 2 new starters that are tripling after each feeding. Given their origins, I’ve named the first starter “Basil Raisefoam” and the second one “Sherlock Foams”. :slight_smile: Tomorrow I will try using it to make some sourdough ciabatta. Thanks again for your post!