Sourdough Challah

Two of our close friends have birthdays this month. We decided to host a brunch for them, in part to give me an excuse to bake a challah loaf again. I thought I’d make a couple of changes to Maggie Glezer’s SD challah. Mostly I thought it needed more egg, so I increased the egg from 3 to four and reduced the water to compensate for the 72% of the egg which is water. I needed the challah to make a peach and blueberry strata. Basically this is a type of French toast that you bake in a pan using cubes of the challah. This makes for an easy meal that you prepare the night before and then bake the morning of the brunch.

Procedures

1. The night before baking, mix the starter and ferment it at 76°F for 8-12 hours.
  2. In the morning, in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the starter in the water, then mix in the 4 eggs, salt, honey and oil until completely combined.
  3. Mix in all the bread flour until it forms a shaggy mass.
  4. Knead the dough on the bench or in a stand mixer until it is smooth and there is moderate gluten development. (Add small amounts of water or flour to achieve the desired consistency, better if you do not have to) The dough should be quite firm.
  5. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover it tightly. Ferment for about 2 hours. It may not rise much.
  6. To make one loaf, divide the dough into two equal portions, and divide each portion into the number of pieces needed for the type of braiding you plan to do, so divide each by 3 to make 1 six strand braided loaf.
  7. Form each piece into a ball and allow them to rest, covered, for 10-20 minutes to relax the gluten.
  8. Form each piece into a strand about 14” long. (I like Glezer’s technique for this. On an un-floured board, flatten each piece with the palm of your hand. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece to about ¼ inch thickness. Then roll up each piece into a tight tube. Using the palms of your hands, lengthen each piece by rolling each tube back and forth on the bench with light pressure. Start with your hands together in the middle of the tube and, as you roll it, move your hands gradually outward. Taper the ends of the tube by rotating your wrists slightly so that the thumb side of your hand is slightly elevated, as you near the ends of the tube.)
  9. Braid the loaves. Braiding somewhat loosely, not too tight.
  10. Place each loaf on parchment paper in half-sheet pans (I used a quarter-sheet pan for each loaf.) Cover well with plastic wrap or place the pans in a food grade plastic bag, and proof at room temperature until the loaves have tripled in volume. In my oven with the light on and door cracked open, it takes 4-6 hours.
  11. If it’s almost tripled and when poked the dough only springs back a little, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Gauge the dough again. Stick a finger lightly in the dough. If it makes an indentation that doesn’t spring back, the dough is ready to be baked. If not, wait a bit more.
  12. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF with the rack in the upper third of the oven about 30 mins before final proof is complete.
  13. Brush each loaf with an egg lightly beaten with a pinch of salt.
  14. Optionally, sprinkle the loaves with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds.
  15. Bake until done – 25-40 minutes rotating half way, shield from above to slow browning… If baking as one large loaf may take a bit longer, bake until sounds hollow or reaches 190ºF in the middle.
  16. Cool completely before slicing.

1 Like

Find a local Jewish Bakery (or any bakery for that matter) and sell your Challahs. Infinitely better than anything you find in the stores. That is superb! I like how the sesame coating has been done and the colour is really lovely.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly Abe. I think growing up with so many Jewish friends has had an effect on my bread preferences!
Benny

1 Like

Try your hand at a Purim Challah, Benny. There’s no one version. It’s a festive occasion where the challah is made sweet, often has raisins in it and is coated in hundreds and thousands. It’s a fun festival and the challah is suppose to be fun too. That’s just an idea but you can really make it your own.

1 Like

I’ve heard of Purim but never Purim challah. I’ll have to look into that, it might make an interesting variation on challah.

1 Like

I look forward! FYI Purim is in March, one month before Passover, but I urge you not to wait till then. I would love to see you bake one much sooner. Perhaps if you have a get-together or a party or even just to try it you can make one anytime.

1 Like

Here’s the crumb. This turned out really well, the crumb is sooooo soft and fluffy exactly how it should be. Love the extra egg flavour, it will make a great strata tomorrow.

2 Likes

Perfection!

2 Likes

Thank you Abe.

Amazing inside and out!
I’ve a lazy question because I don’t want to fetch my reading glasses :nerd_face: Did you do a stiff but not sweet levain? I think that’s what I’m seeing with my fuzzy vision.

1 Like

Thank you Melissa, the strata made with this loaf was yummy as well. The levain was stiff but not sweet, 59% hydration.

1 Like

Benito, that looks exquisite! ~ Patricia

1 Like

Thank you Patricia, it’s always fun plaiting a challah.
Benny

Incredible color and crumb. Nice.

1 Like

Thank you AG, I love challah so much, started as a kid. I still love eating a challah bun for lunch. I’ll have to make this into buns and have more fun doing more braiding.

1 Like

Here’s a video I just uploaded showing how I shaped this challah, enjoy.

1 Like