Sourdough Calzones

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

2 Likes

These look so delicious Melissa. I hope your family knows how lucky they are!!
Merry Christmas
Benny

Thank you, Benny. One still-growing family member saw the calzones cooling on the baking sheet and said, “I get one all to myself?!”

1 Like

These look so good. Can straight bread flour be used? I don’t have any sprouted flour, nor a grain mill. Santa thought I had been bad this year I guess.

lol I hear you - I wasn’t good enough for a burr coffee grinder from Santa apparently :wink:

Yes, you can use bread flour. Start with only 375g water and add more if needed. And if you use store bought whole wheat flour, you may need a bit more than the asked-for 400g water.

I’ve done something like this before and I had excellent results using my sourdough pizza dough recipe. Why re-invent the wheel? I can even whip up one batch of dough and use it for pizza and/or calzones and/or pitas. Your formula is 69% hydration which is fine, mine is much dryer at 60.6%. After a hard day at work I like to keep things as automatic as possible. On the other hand I use 4.2% of olive oil.

These were delicious. We made sausage & mushroom for our carnivores and mushroom/spinach/pine nut for the vegans. The dough behaved perfectly even though I used store-bought WW flour. The pizza sauce recipe, made with Italian canned tomatoes, was the perfect accompaniment. Thank you for a wonderful, cold-weather dinner!

I hear you – my pizza, stromboli, and calzone doughs are all fundamentally similar, with my goal being a hydration that can be handled, rolled, cut etc. I have a pretty loose framework admittedly, because I love to change the hydration, wheat type, % whole grain, % starter, and y/n diastatic malt powder.
(If using only refined flour, my hydration probably drops to near yours.)

You’re welcome. Those fillings sound delicious and it’s good to know your WW flour didn’t need any hydration modifications. That sauce has ruined my family for the pre-made jars. If I try to cut corners when making pizza or pasta, I get, “What’s wrong with the pizza sauce, Mom?”

A Komo grain mill is definitely on my wish list, but for now my pizza/calzone/pita grain bill is just 1/8 Whole Foods Whole Wheat, 1/4 King Arthur Bread Flour, and the rest (including the starter) is King Arthur All Purpose Flour.

1 Like

These looks great and I can’t wait to make them. I have been sourdough bread making for a few months now. I can use this same dough to make pizzas? I like to freeze pizza dough so I always have it on hand. And I am not using any store-bought flour. I make my own flour with the different types of whole grains I purchase from Breadtopia (wheat berries, spelt, etc…) - so would I need to alter the flour or water grams if I’m only using flour I mill myself from whole grains? Thanks! Carol

What a delicious recipe! Thanks, Melissa! I skipped the meat and used Rao’s Marinara.

Yum. Those look delicious. I like Rao’s too; I think it’s less sweet than other jarred sauces.

I am planning to refrigerate overnight. Do I need to let my dough get to room temp before proceeding. Going to make pizza w this dough! Thanks.

Some people advise letting dough warm up so it doesn’t tear when you shape it, but I’ve never bothered, nor had any issues with tearing. If a dough is stiff when you start to stretch it out, just let it rest a bit for the gluten to relax.

I refrigerate during a several day-long bulk fermentation, then pre-shape, put the dough in oiled takeout containers, and then refrigerate some more. The doughs pop out nice and round for stretching into circles.

This pic is just after dividing and pre-shaping, before the dough has risen again.

Edited to add: I’m referring to my slow and often cold pizza dough process.