Sourdough Breads with Einkorn Flour

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

I am glad to see this post. I’ve been using up all my grains from Breadtopia and plan starting fresh as soon as they are gone. I decided to use all the “ troublesome “ grains as flakes! I premoistened them , a technique I found on another blog, and then flaked, toasted in butter, cooked as porridge and added to my bread dough. I’ve had wonderful success with this method. The toasting of the home flaked Einkorn, Spelt and Emmer made the breads extremely flavorful. They also have the most tender crumb of any of my formulas. I will give these grains another chance with your post as my guide. Thank you for your great info! c

It’s not pertinent to bread, but einkorn makes a lovely cooked grain too, where its sweetness and lack of bitterness really shine. Because the grains are small and slim, they cook much more quickly than other wheats. Great in pilaf, salad, or soup.

1 Like

@carolinedonnelly64 @wendyk320 Flaked and whole cooked wheat grains both sound absolutely delicious. I love the mouth-feel of cooked wheat in soups – thanks for reminding me, and I hope to have a flaker soon and start exploring some of these porridges. Happy baking!

Here is the most helpful article I found about flaking. flaking grains | Food Prepper

Her method of slightly moistening the grains works great !! Einkorn is the hardest of all the grains to flake so needs a bit more water and longer rest time. But it is very worth it. Great taste. I have the Molino Maga flaker. I like it but it isn’t perfect. You have the chance most likely to try several different brands. I will look forward to your reports.
Good Luck !!

Oh thank you! I’ll check out the link, and pass it to a friend who’s also keen on flaking.

Can I assume that if making the 70-30 version as a pan (metal) loaf, the conventional “rules” for loaf pan pre-heating, oven temp, time will apply (rather than clay baker pre-heat temperature, time)?

Yes, I’d lower the oven temp and preheat time if baking in a loaf pan.
I’d love to hear/see how it goes!

Thanks for your quick reply, Melissa. I’ll let you know how it goes. My starter is almost ready.

Since I had both whole grain Einkorn and whole grain Yecora Rojo on hand, I decided to try your 50:50 whole grain recipe. The two flavors work very well together, and I’m looking forward to my hearty, healthy sandwiches this week. Thanks, Melissa.
Richard

2 Likes

Very nice loaf Richard.
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

That is gorgeous inside and out Richard. The crumb looks awesome with perfect fermentation. Love the colour of the crumb.
Benny

Thanks so much, Benny. I enjoy the flavor of Einkorn as well as thinking about it’s heritage. If I didn’t have so many bread books, I think I would be happy just baking Melissa’s recipes.
Richard

1 Like

Woah, that 50:50 yecora/einkorn crumb is so lacy!

Thanks, Melissa. I’ve always been happy with my bakes when I’ve followed your recipes. Richard

Thus far, the highest whole grain I’ve used is 30%. The best results I’ve had, from process to final product, has been by mixing 50/50 Einkorn and Rogue de Bordeaux. Great flavor from the Einkorn and the RdeB makes it much easier to handle and shape the dough.
A never ending quest….

1 Like

Those look lovely and I bet they’re tasty too.
(Did I understand correctly that they’re 70% bread flour, 15% whole grain einkorn flour, and 15% whole grain rouge de bordeaux flour?)

Yes! The RdeB made it much easier to work with without sacrificing the flavor added by the Einkorn.