Sourdough Bread: How Dough Shape and Size Influence Crumb

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Thanks for doing and reporting these experiments. I’m wondering if your improved bloom after of the double scoring means that your initial scoring was not deep enough.

Very informative article. Thank you very much.

When I was taste experimenting with different flours for starters, I made 4 small boules (150g bread flour) and observed similar results to yours. The mini loaves had better shape, spring and ears. The large loaves I make now (500g flour) are flatter and the scores close up. Next time I’m going to try two 250g loaves.

Interesting test. When do you do a 2nd scoring? After bread has baked a short time? I ask because scoring is my nemesis. Even if I use a new one& dip it quickly in water, my blade usually sticks in the dough. I have tried a 2nd scoring, but it doesn’t seem to help; maybe I wait too long?

Have you tried sticking the banneton (without the shower cap or whatever cover you use in cold fermentation) into the freezer for 15 min? That makes it a lot easier to score.

1 Like

I usually score a cold dough but had to do a very hydrated warm dough 2 days ago. I tried a bit of butter on the blade and it helped. Not perfect but much better.

1 Like

I’d be very curious to see a side-by-side comparison of hard vs. soft water.

I too am curious how long you let it bake in the oven before scoring a second time. I haven’t tried this, but i know it’s a newer concept that people have been playing around with. I definitely get better scoring results with cold dough than warm, but if this is a way to continue the lift and open up the crumb more into the middle of my loaves, that would be fantastic.

@cathor3 You’re welcome. I think my scores are on the deep side but maybe you can weigh in – there is a pic in the article of the stone-baked dough just after scoring before loading into the oven. (The baguette looks kinda shallow tbh.) In a baking vessel my same scoring depth (1x only) blooms nicely.

@AWhiteRaven I’m glad the article was helpful. Good luck with your 250g flour loaves.

@sheerobin @Franko The second scoring is 5-7 minutes into the bake. I agree with everyone stating that cold dough is easier to score.
I initially tested re-scoring with doughs in baking vessels, and the resulting bread shapes were quite different and the crumbs slightly different. The scored twice bread was flatter and had a bit more open-crumb center.

Hard vs Soft water sounds very interesting. I can get soft water from my beer brewing husband’s 5 gallon tank. It is basically distilled water, so he suggests I mix it 90:10 with my filtered sink water, which is moderately hard, to get soft water “like mountain stream water.” He said there are distinctions like “temporary” hard water, which is how much calcium carbonate settles out of the water after boiling, and then “permanent” hard water, which is some other ion…
Are you more interested in how this impacts the dough rising, the bread flavor, something else?

Good idea. I’ll try that or coconut oil. Thanks

Thank you. That explains a lot & good to know I"m not crazy! My dough is almost always warm from the Brod Taylor proofing box. & I usually wait longer for the 2nd score. I’ll try doing it sooner.

I’d be interested to know how it affects the growth of the starter/levain build. Larger bubbles - smaller bubbles? How much does it grow?

And also how it translates into the final loaf. What is the crumb like? and taste?

So basically everything :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be nice to have data supporting or negating the advice to avoid using distilled water when growing a new sourdough starter. (Absolutely anecdotal and also not a comparison test but starters grow easily in my kitchen of hard water.)

I’m positive it helps when making a starter. When it comes to fermentation hard water gives the yeasts a boost but what affect does it have on the dough itself?

I’ve noticed this too. And when it comes to helping people who use soft water they seem to run into more problems.

1 Like

Water that is too hard stiffens the gluten and the dough takes longer to rise.

For most breads, medium-hard water is ideal. For pizza, this is even more important.
In Japan, the water is soft and seems to go well with their bread. Also Esbieta in the youtube video of the Galician moña (Pan Gallego con Moña - #16 by Abe) says that the local water is soft.

I look forward to seeing the test results.

1 Like

This is what i’ve been thinking. My local water is very hard. And no matter what I do - even if it’s a no knead bread - the crumb comes out far denser than those who make an airy crumb even when handling. Literally it could be a completely hands off bread with zero de-gassing and it’s still not as airy. Not that i’m complaining because I like the crumb I get however it would be a good comparison to know the reason why. I’ve noticed it in starter/levain builds too. The air bubbles (which obviously translates into the final dough) seem to be smaller. Should we get a definitive answer I could direct people to this when they wish for a more airy crumb.

1 Like

You can mix filtered and tap water, or you can boil some tap water, let it set while cooling, and then mix it with unboiled water to get a medium hardness.

2 Likes

Thank you! Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I am gluten intolerant. Is there a technique to bake gluten-free as such? I do miss “good bread”

You might check out the recipes here: Gluten Free – Breadtopia

These two breads may be what you’re looking for: