Sourdough Bomboloni (Donuts)

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

3 Likes

I would love a baked version. Can’t go wrong with donuts. They look delicious.

1 Like

Thanks! I was able to use only 1.5 - 2 inches depth of oil in a 5qt Dutch oven and fit 3-4 donuts in at a time. That this smaller amount of oil worked well makes me less hesitant to fry in the future. (And how very non-greasy the final donuts were too.)

That said, I’d love to make these baked some day, but I’ve yet to get a similar texture with baking. Here are Norwegian Sunshine Buns, probably the closest I’ve come to a baked donut.

The recipe of @deiligbrod has a nice amount of whole spelt flour and is here on Instagram.

Vanilla custard and coconut coating:

Not quite the same fried airy crumb:

Just out of the oven:

At the end of the first rise:

At the start of the first rise:

2 Likes

Hi,

Not sure how come anyone didn’t mention that there’s no water or mil mentioned for the dough.De it today with around 80g of water. Added at the end since found the dough too stiff (of course). What is the actual amount? Thanks!

I’m so sorry the recipe was missing the water amount and you ended up with dry donuts! We usually catch stuff like that pretty quickly. It’s 140g water (though you can always go up or down by a little, depending on your dough feel).
Thank you so much for the heads up and good luck with the next batch.

Hi, Melissa. Would it be detrimental to give this dough 48 hrs at 40F before proofing and frying if it had 5.5 hrs of BF in the low 80s? I do not have much experience with enriched, naturally leavened doughs. The first time I made these I did not take any liberties with the process! Thanks.

I think it would get more sour, but structurally it could…should… be okay. Since I haven’t done this for 48 hours or even 24, I can’t say with certainty. The risk is that with so much time, it over-ferments.
On the flip side, if you were refrigerating before the bulk fermentation had started moving along, I’d be worried you’d stall fermentation too much. Sourdough leavening can really struggle in cold enriched doughs in my experience.

1 Like