Sourdough Biscuits

This recipe is horrible. I can’t believe I fell for it. Everyone knows you mix the butter into the flour before you add the liquids. What makes me the maddest is here we are in a pandemic and I have wasted a bunch of flour and butter. Breadtopia you need to fix this recipe. The commentor above gave the proper instructions as far as the order in which ingredients need to be mixed. I seriously still doubt I will try this recipe again even with those corrections.

I followed the recipe in the cookbook, but I assume it is the same here. They came out soooo good. I used a pastry blender to mix everything and instead of grating the butter I used a peeler. Holds up well for biscuits and gravy!

1 Like

These look fantastic…tempting me to make a batch :heart_eyes:

I’ve made these twice and had the same problem with the cream getting too thick to work. I’m mixing by hand and there seems to be a chemical reaction between the starter and the heavy whipping cream.

I’m sorry to hear the recipe is giving you trouble. I haven’t had this issue but my starter discard is usually relatively fresh/unacidic. Also I use a mixer, but pretty low speed. Is your discard on the super-old side of things?

We would call these Scones in England :-). They look great but I would not be able to make them alas! Far too much saturated fat which is not good. A little nibble would be good but I doubt it would stay at a ‘little’.

1 Like

This recipe is off the rails great!
Came out perfect the first time, but me being me, I had to take it to the shop for different tires and rims.

1. I nix the stand mixer and use a Danish dough whisk. If the butter is still chilled a tad I use a wire cheese cutter to make the pads. If that’s a mess I retreat to a knife. The thing I like about the Danish Whisk is I can stare at the biscuit dough and think about how they were made in the 30’s and 40’. Or even off a chuck wagon on a wagon trail. I get the butter in nice little pellet size knobs and visualize the melting during the bake.

2. I add about 80 grams of Crème Fraîche on top of the heavy cream.

3)I add half a tsp. of the best vanilla I can find. If you are going to go though the effort to get the ingredients, mix, and bake why on earth wouldn’t you pay a couple dollars and buy the very best of everything?

1. For anything in the cake/pastry genre I use half all purpose and half cake flour. Eric, if you are reading this, do you mill a cake flour?

2. Butter, same thing, I purchase the Kerry’s unsalted Irish butter. I admit it, I’m a sucker for marketing. It adds to the visualization thing. Ya gotta go to Ireland some time.

3. I divide the dough into three slabs. I’ll add raspberries to one,Large Mondo raisins, to one, and strawberries to the last. Today I pre-crushed the fruit and then worked it into the dough. I use my antibacterial clean hands and squeeze the fruit into the dough. This makes the dough real mushy so I refridgerate the dough slabs for about 20 minutes. With the fruit the dough will weigh about 400-460 gr. I tear off the dough until I get 100-110 grams, then I form a Fat Patty and drop it into a parchment cup. This yeilds exactly 12 biscuits/scones. Four of each of the three flavors.

4. I ordered two canisters on Etsy from Symmetrical Pottery. Angie & Scott. I love their work. So, I’m giving them a shout out.

Forgot to photography the end result. Since I’m low carb now, I gave eleven away. #12 was most excellent. Reviews were very good