Semolina slump

I tried to make the semolina rolls from your recipe using some semolina flour I’ve had in the freezer for several months. I didn’t realize semolina flour is too course until after I baked them. They had a heavy, grainy texture even though they appeared decent. I read more info regarding semolina verse durum flours so I’m going to try and make it finer in my bullet for my next try,not sure that will work though. Any suggestions?

1 Like

As fine as possible for better results. Durum flour, aka Rimacinata, is semolina re-milled. If you can’t find durum flour then semolina has different grades too. There’s coarse and fine semolina. Go for fine! Not quite as fine as Rimacinata but the next best thing.

I find semolina doesn’t get as nice a crumb and dries out quicker than durum flour. Although this might sound contradictory you “might” have better results, if you’re going down the regrinding it route, is to start off with coarser semolina. One way to get a fine grind is to coarsely grind the grain first and then re-run it through the mill. So starting off with a coarser grind might be the way. But if your bullet isn’t up to it there’s always a chance you’ll just end up with fine semolina instead of Rimacinata anyway in which case buying fine semolina might be the way. But if you don’t try you won’t know.

Have you tried to find durum flour? On-line is best or if you have an Italian store close by they might stock it.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Abe. I don’t have a mill but, I will try again using my bullet to get a finer result for the semolina flour I have on hand. I haven’t looked in my local Italian specialty shops but, thanks to your suggestion I will. Sorry for the delay in my response, it’s a busy time of year!
Have a wonderful Holiday Season and….
Happy Baking👩🏻‍🍳,
Baker Bean