Second rise question

When a bread recipe calls for a second rise how much should the bread then rise in the oven?

I have made a milk loaf today, which rose very well in the first rise, quite well in the second rise but hardly at all in the oven.

Thanks

Ian

We’re going to need a lot more info. Recipe, Method, Timing?

If it rises well up until the oven stage then more than likely it was over proofed. But until we get more info I couldn’t guarantee tht was the reason.

Thanks for responding Abe. It was a recipe for milk loaf.

500g white flour
5g salt
25g instant yeast
50g sugar (I think)
60g butter
300ml milk

First rise 60 minutes
Split into 2 loaf tins
Second rise 60 minutes
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 200c

The bread is really soft and light, but the texture is a bit close, especially at the bottom.

I use a home made proving box which I set to 23c.

If the dough is over proved would you recommend I reduce the first or the second prove, or both?

Thanks

There’s your problem right there! Ian.

25g instant yeast :open_mouth:

Are you sure that’s right? If the recipe says that then it’s a typo. I’d say 1 tsp (3g ish), for a longer rise, to 2 tsp max.

If you put 25g in then basically your bread is waaaay over proofed.

Try the recipe again with 1 or 2 tsp and then doubled for the 1st rise and about 30-40 minutes for the 2nd rise.

P.s. are you sure that’s not 2.5g?

I’m pretty sure it isn’t 2.5. This is from a Paul Hollywood bread book and all the recipes are about that much.

I’ve just had a thought. I think I might have seen somewhere in the opening section that the quantity should be reduced by 25% when using instant. I’ll check that.

Thanks for your help.

I just had a look on-line…

And they have the recipe as…

Ingredients (makes 1 loaf)

Servings

• 500 grams bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • 10 grams salt
  • 25 grams sugar
  • 10 grams dry instant yeast
  • 30 grams butter
  • 320 milliliters full fat milk (warm)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Even if this is another version of Paul Hollywood’s Milk Bread you see it’s 10g IDY to 500g flour. Slightly higher than the usual amount but within normal range. Probably to make up for the enrichment. But 25g IDY would be way too much and even 25% less will be 18.75g which is still too much. I do see 25g sugar!

That’s interesting. I checked and he does say use 25% less. That online version also has half the amount of butter.

I’ll have to do some more research on this, all of the recipes in the book use a similar amount of yeast. He does say the quantities are for fresh yeast but only says to cut it down by 25% for instant.

I wonder if it is supposed to say cut it down to 25%.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Until we get to the answer imo the recipe, by Paul Hollywood, that i’ve posted sounds better. I think you should give that one a try.

1 Like

I’m beginning to wonder if there is a typo in the book. When describing the yeasts it definitely says that the recipes are for fresh yeast and, is using instant, to use “25% less than shown”. Should it perhaps say “25% of the quantity shown”?

Googling ‘converting from fresh to instant yeast’ seems to suggest that 1/3 of the quantity should be used if instant instead of fresh.

1/3rd is about right. So instead of 25g fresh yeast this brings it to 8g (ish) and since a sachet is usually 7g then just use one sachet. Or 2 and a 1/3rd teaspoons. Which sounds about right.

But still some things sound a bit off. Salt is quite low. Sugar and butter is quite high. I still think the one from that site seems like better ratios and is worth a try. But if you wish to try the book version again then dropping the yeast is the way to go. Then wait for the dough to double for the bulk ferment then about 40 minutes - one hour (depending) for the final rise.