Rye Chocolate Cherry Sourdough

Definitely @Leah1. Worth the wait to get it perfect. Couldn’t find dried cherries at first so bought the cacao nibs and golden berries as a substitute. Now I’ve found dried cherries I need to wait till I get the chocolate drops. Hopefully soon I’ll have everything. I’ve also been working on a starter especially for this bread but it’s not sourdough. I’ll leave it at that till I’ve managed to bake a loaf :grin:

@Abe Wow, a starter that isn’t sourdough? I’m intrigued. Is it a yeast water? I haven’t tried making one of those. I never felt like I needed to since I love my starter, Cyril.

You amaze me with all the different recipes, techniques and loaves you bake. I’m not nearly as adventurous with my choice of bakes. I have a relatively short-list of sourdough breads I routinely bake due to ease of technique, timing and ingredients I most always have on hand. That and I consider myself to be one of the laziest bakers around. If a recipe is fairly easy and doesn’t have a thousand-and-one steps or a huge myriad of ingredients I’ll likely give it a try. Some recipes, as wonderful as they sound, simply won’t work with the dietary modifications I have to make due to my husband’s health requirements. I’ve been able to very easily modify the recipes I have chosen for my permanent baking repertoire.

Blessings,
Leah

I give in @Leah1 :grinning: was going to write up about it when I’ve done the bake. I’ve harvested the yeast from a bottled conditioned beer. Managed to get the yeast live and kicking then fed it some flour. Think it’s ready to bake with. It’s had a couple of feeds and it’s now sitting in the fridge ready for when I’ve sourced the chocolate drops. It’s a starter of sorts. Atleast I’m treating it as a starter. It’s a pre-ferment that will leaven the dough.

Yeast water is also lots of fun. Very easy and I really recommend it. Take a look at my other post for the procedure.

I need to work on a rye chocolate sour (of course :slight_smile: ) cherry cookie recipe. The not-sweet crumb part of this bread feels crucial to what makes it so good when combined with a bite of chocolate and cherry. But still a cookie worth trying.

@Abe There’s just something remarkable about the wee beasties, right? Years ago, a number of friends and I got together to brew some cherry honey mead and some orange mead (orange mead was for a wedding). Those wee beasties were definitely kicking! Believe it or not, I still have a small bottle of that cherry mead AND an unopened bottle of the orange wedding mead…good times and good memories from over 13+ years ago.

Now to see if your wee beasties will bake bread!

Blessings,
Leah

@Fermentada Oooohhhh my! Are you trying to make those 6 pounds I’ve gained blossom into 10? That sounds amazing!

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like