Reviving a Dried & Live Sourdough Starter

I received your live starter, & after two days had some nice looking starter. I made my first sourdough bread & to my surprise it was excellent & about as good as I’ve ever had. I followed your sourdough no kneed receipt, but did 3 sets of stretch & folds about 20 minutes apart at the start of the bulk rise. This was recommended by another recipe I found.

2 Likes

@ronpa That looks lovely and yummy!

Leah

I’ve made a starter of my own, but thus far I’m not sure how lively it is. I’ve used it in biscuits, zucchini bread, and my initial loves (2) of sourdough bread. They didn’t rise very much, but tastes good and has a lovely hard crust.
I’ve just received a dehydrated starter from a friend in Alaska, whose starter is supposedly from one started some 200 years ago, and also went up Denali in the pocket of a climber. (Such exciting starter information.
I’d like to know if I might be able to re-hydrate my Alaskan starter, then incorporate it into my starter? Would there be a method to that, or when the Alaskan starter is quite rehydrated and lively merely add the two together (Currently my 3 week old starter is in the fridge – I fed it yesterday, left it out overnight, but it didn’t swell very much – a little, but not much.
Thank you for your assistance!

Hi all! I’m on my second attempt at reviving a live sourdough starter! I had a couple questions for all you bread pros.

I only have whole wheat flour, so I used that instead. I want to know if it will still bubble and rise? I want to know what to look for since I just did it’s first feeding after the initial mixing. Also, I mixed it in the big jar and I’m keeping it in there.

Any tips? First timer here and I have not even baked anything yet! Thanks!

I’m getting ready to do this for the first time, since we’re gearing up for an international move. I just hope it goes well! It’s something I have yet to do.

I’ve dehydrated a decent bit of starter and I’ll have it in my carry-on luggage. But I hope to have a really small bit of wet starter with me too.

Either way, I’d like to try Eric’s instructions for reviving a dehydrated starter upon our arrival (and once I’ve secured some good flour too!).

1 Like

The best advice I think would be to rehydrate the dried starter with just enough water to make a thick paste. Then feed it its own weight in water and fresh flour aka 1:1:1 and stir well. Then leave in a warm place and do not feed again till you see activity. Once it’s woken up then start a feeding schedule.

Yeah, sounds like a good way forward. I’ll use a bit of the dehydrated starter right when we’re set up in our new place. I’d also like to save a bit of the dried stuff and wait about a year before doing anything with it, just see how well it performs at that point.