Reviving a Dried & Live Sourdough Starter

The two videos in this blog post may be helpful to you from the technique standpoint.

And here is a recipe I picked somewhat at random that lists in printable form instructions for making a sourdough bread that you plan to stretch and folding 3-4 times. You can use the flour type you prefer, while following the instructions as well as looking at the photo gallery to see what the different stages look like.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jersey, I’m newbie too. Just received the sourdough starter and revived it as per video instruction.

Did you throw away half of it during the process? On which day is it?

I’ll update mine after a few days. Hopefully it work.

Hello, Elny. When I first revived the starter, I added one tablespoon new flour and one to two teaspoons of water each time. I don’t remember removing any starter. Then when I finally got activity—after about six days, I think—and started adding a third of a cup flour and almost a quarter cup water twice a day, I removed some starter before the feeding. Soon, I made the mistake of not removing enough, and the starter was relatively weak. So I used a scale to be sure that the weight of the new flour and water was roughly equal to the weight of the starter I fed. Then the starter became stronger. I stopped using the scale when I was familiar with how much starter I needed to keep.

Do you have a scale?

Hi. I am now on my 4th day and the started is going very well. Very active. I can’t wait to use it. My niece has been trying to get a starter going with no luck. NowI Ican share and be the favorite uncle. Let you know in a few days how it goes.

Can I add my dehydrated sourdough starter to my buckwheat pancake dry mix? The intention would be to use it in place of other leaveners in the mix i give away to people as gifts. They would add buttermilk the night before and egg and fats the morning of.

It’s a great thought, but I kinda think it might not work well only because it can take days for the dry starter to come out of dormancy and also typically takes a few feedings for it to reach the level of potency you’d want.

I bought your starter and followed the steps in the video to revive it. Everything went very well in terms of it growing and looking right (alive) until the last step when I added it to a jar and put in the last feeding of 1 cup flour, 2/3 c water. After that it didn’t expand as it was supposed to and now looks rather lifeless, no bubbles or movement. The jar was clean and I left it out at room temp for 24 hours. What do you suppose?

That is very strange indeed. Same flour, water and a clean jar?
I’m stumped.

I guess I would leave it out for another day and see if it comes back to life. Very cool room and a very heavy feeding could maybe cause starter to look dormant for a while.

The starter is in fine health. I’ve been adding flour and water in varying amounts in order to keep the right consistency. I’m proofing my first boule from the no-knead recipe, using a Bannetton for the final step. Wish me luck#!#!

I wanted to make a sourdough loaf this morning. Yesterday I put my sponge together. And put it on the fridge. Last evening I took the sponge fyy tu m the fridge to warm up over night and I went to refresh my starter… I had just fed it a couple of days ago. I took off the lid and the starter smelled really acidic. But I thought I’ll just feed it and it will be ok! This morning I checked the starter and there was no smell at all and no ride! So I’ve poured out mist of the starter and added three tablespoons of feeder and three tablespoons of water. Now I wait. I hope the sponge which is back in the fridge will not give me trouble! Don’t know why it seemed die! But there you go I’ve been kind to it!!!

I have my sour dough starter on day 4 and it’s smelling sour. Is that correct or bad? I live in Arizona so it’s warmer here and I was wondering if it has gotten too warm and ruined the starter.
I have seen it rising and there are bubbles.

It’s supposed to be sour. That’s why it’s called sourdough. Bubbles and rising and sour smell sounds perfect.

Go ye forth and make bread.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just my first time and was worried I’d done something wrong.

Take it to day six. Reason is sometimes a starter can slow, or even appear to stop, on days 4-5. Do not worry as this is perfectly normal. If this happens then slow down the feeds and start up again when it perks up. To ascertain where your starter is at and whether its strong enough how are you maintaining it and how is it reacting? What are the feeds, how often are they and how much does it rise?

One can certainly make a fully viable starter in 4-5 days but as a living thing we can’t expect every starter to behave the same way. If you’re on day 4 and you’re concerned in any way then won’t harm to see it through a couple of days longer to see how it reacts.

P.s. are you reviving a starter or making one from scratch. Just to be clear. Although the same advice could very well apply. Often, I find, that reviving a dried starter can take time and one might as well make one from scratch. And I’ve just helped someone who’s dried starter went through the same stages which brings to question… Is one reviving a starter or by the time ones finished have they made a new one?

I have been trying to revive one of your dried sourdough starters. I am on day 6, having followed the directions on the video but nothing – no bubbles, no rising… A few years ago, I had a starter I used and it worked well with the flour and water I’m using now. Not sure what the issue is… Just keep waiting? I discarded this morning, and fed with equal weight portions water and KA bread flour. It is in a warm spot. Any suggestions?

Yep… Stop feeding it for now.

If there’s no activity then what are you feeding?

Keep warm and just stir every 12 hours. Once it perks up and begins to bubble then start feeding again. It may take a day or two or even three. Patience.

Thank you, Abe. Fingers crossed.

Have you seen any activity at all? Or did it go quiet?

I haven’t seen any activity at all. :frowning:

I think you are basically starting from scratch. Bear with me. I’ll send you a PM.

1 Like