Respectus Panis techniques

Does anyone know about the techniques espoused in the Respectus Panis movement. I understand it includes a small inoculation of starter, long fermentation times, little to no kneading, and works for a variety of doughs. I really want to learn more about it!

I had never heard of Respectus Panis before - thanks.

My method is not exactly the same - I do refrigerate the final proof - but it seems very similar in many respects.

I would like to know more also about their techniques, they have many books.

@wendyk320 and I were chatting about and experimenting with this technique a while ago. Here’s the thread, links a video of Yohan Ferrant, one of the ambassadors of the approach.

A blast from the past! It’s fun to be reminded of what shenanigans I was up to. I ultimately gave up on that method, it just didn’t produce a a loaf that I liked that much.

Yes, it is similar. I’ve been doing a like method , making Maura’s Bread (from the King Arthur site). That technique works great on my 70% WW bread with flax and chia seeds. The Respectus Panis method (from what I understand) involves a smaller inoculation of starter (3-5g for 1 kilo flour), and even less working of the dough. In addition, less salt is used.

Has anyone seen their books? Can you purchase them in the US? I can only see availability through their web site.

I also understood the technique you mentioned, therefore the fermentation will take longer time.

i would realy like to try a recipe before buying the book, to examine if the taste and effect with it.

Well I know this thread is super old now by internet standards but it still comes up when you google “respectus panis,” so I just wanted to add that this is basically kind of what I already often do–I’d just never heard of the name or the “movement” until recently. For me it was a natural “unvention” I developed in the process of trying to make my bulk ferments longer, both to allow me more flexibility during my day and to make breads more nutritious (grains, especially whole grains, contain antinutrients that need time to break down). For example I often use 1% starter and bulk ferment overnight–I have yet to try less than 1%, but I might, especially as it’s been so warm at night recently.

I also use a small amount of starter (40g) with 1000g of flour (70% whole wheat and 30% bread flour, 16g salt and 818g water. I mix everything up, and after a 15 minute rest I do 2 rounds of stretch & folds. Then a 15 minute rest, repeating for a total of 4 sets of stretch & folds. Then I leave it to bulk ferment until it’s risen about 70%. Usually I start the dough in the evening, but if it’s more convenient I’ll reverse the timing. After the rise, I split the dough in half and pre-shape, then letting it rest for 15 minutes. Then I do the final shape and put the loaves into bannetons. I refrigerate them for around 8 hours, and then bake using clay bakers. This is my everyday bread, and so easy to make!