Raw eggs in sourdough recipes

Most basic food safety guidelines would seem to preclude using raw eggs, maybe even milk, in sourdough products because the fermentation timeframes are longer than those recommended for keeping these perishables at room temperature. But this obviously isn’t the case considering the millions on people making sourdough challah, brioche, babka, and hundreds of other things. Because Sourdough isn’t a “raw” food just sitting out at room temperature, it’s a cultured food, with deliberate inoculation by safe, beneficial microorganisms, which is of course completely different…

So what if any guidelines do you follow? I have always chosen a preferment approach when incorporating eggs, instead of an overnight bulk ferment, but this isn’t based on any solid science, it just seemed like a way to play it safe in the absence of any, and I’ve just always done it that way since…

If my dough has eggs in it I prefer to pre-ferment a large amount and reduce the ferment time. Is it necessary? I don’t know but i feel safer doing so and it’s also good practice for the leavening. The more enriched a dough is the better it’ll do with a high percentage preferment. Win-win.

1 Like

…and then bake to over 165°F, the temp at which salmonella is killed off.

3 Likes

Ditto what Melissa said. The breads I make aren’t “done” until the internal temp is in the 200F range. Bacteria isn’t a concern. Eggs themselves are bacteria proof so unless the egg is compromised, or bacteria is introduced some other way, its not a problem, regardless of the baking temp.

Store-bought eggs in America are compromised - the FDA requires eggs to be washed. The process of washing also removes the protective cuticle covering the shell, potentially allowing bacteria to get inside. That is why the necessity for Americans to keep eggs in the refrigerator. Otherwise, eggs don’t need to be refrigerated. The EU prohibits the washing of eggs so eggs sold there do not require refrigeration.

Don’t eat raw dough

Even if it doesn’t have eggs in it. The flour itself can be a problem. When making “raw” cookie dough to eat one shouldn’t just make any old cookie dough. It actually isn’t fully raw and four has to be heated to a specific temperature.

If I ate cookie dough mom would wack me with the kochlöffel

Too right :joy:

She’s only looking after you. I’ve seen people on YouTube with their own cookie dough recipes. They think because they’ve left out the eggs it’s safe to eat but they aren’t aware of the flour issue. And there it is on YouTube for anyone to try.

I’ve never been tempted by raw cookie dough ¯_(ツ)_/¯ In fact, one of my college friends used to buy it and share with me, and I would “fry” it on the heating element of my dorm room coffee maker :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Raw cookie dough seems to be quite popular but i’ve never been tempted either. I prefer it baked too!

1 Like

You are correct in understanding that sourdough fermentation is different from simply leaving raw eggs or milk at room temperature. The fermentation process in sourdough involves the growth of beneficial microorganisms (yeasts and lactic acid bacteria) that help create a more acidic environment, which in turn inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria. This acidic environment is one of the reasons why sourdough is considered safer than other raw doughs.

1 Like

Personally, I follow the guidelines set by reputable sources like the FDA and USDA when it comes to food safety. While sourdough fermentation does create a more acidic environment that can inhibit bacterial growth, it’s still important to handle eggs and other perishables with care.