Question re bulk fermentation time

I tried making whole spelt sourdough for the first time yesterday. Bulk fermentation was 11 hours overnight, then some minimal shaping and into the proofing basket. An hour and a half later, the dough in the proofing basket was very bubbly and wet. When I turned it out onto parchment paper, it had no skin or shape, it just poured into a wet mess and I had to scrape it off the liner. So I did a few coil folds, shaped a bit more emphatically and put it into a REALLY well floured basket. From here everything went well and I got a gorgeous loaf.

But my question is where do you experienced bakers think I went wrong? Did it not bulk ferment long enough or did I not de-gas it sufficiently at the first shaping/final proof? I’m getting better at telling when the final proof is ready for the oven, but I have no idea how to tell when bulk fermentation is finished and the dough is ready for the proofing basket. Any tips? What do you look for? The dough definitely doubled overnight. Thanks!

Sounds like it bulk fermented so long it turned to goo. In other words over fermented.

What was the recipe?

It was the Whole Spelt Sourdough from Breadtopia. Another hour and half seemed to fix the problem, I’m just hoping to pick up some clues as to how you tell when to end bulk fermentation and move to the final proof. Any suggestions?

A combo of spelt being spelt and overproofing and/or a high hydration dough.

Spelt is very extensible. When I made all spelt ciabattas, the proofing slippers flowed out of the linen couche within minutes.

2 Likes

So you followed the recipe exactly! Question is if you should have perhaps altered the hydration a bit. Your spelt might not be exactly the same as the one in the recipe. Even where you live might effect the hydration. So its always good practice that if you find yourself in this situation then perhaps lower the hydration to something more manageable.

I’d also add that perhaps you should start the recipe in the morning so you can keep an eye on it. Just flip the timing around for a bulk ferment through the day.

Once the dough is puffy, aerated and has a good matrix of bubbles then proceed onto shaping and final proofing. Knowing this comes with practice. Err on slightly under rather than over. You will learn from each bake and make slight adjustments till you find the sweet spot.

Thanks Abe. I’m definitely going to do the next one during the day so I can watch it. I guess I just need more experience and sleeping through the bulk ferment isn’t giving me that knowledge.

1 Like

Another point… I’ve done this recipe before and many others. Some go more modest with the bulk ferment and others do stretch it out. This one bulk ferments to the outer limits and I agree the dough is very bubbly and sticky. However I think this is partly to do with the nature of spelt when its been risen more than a certain point and doesn’t necessarily mean it has been over fermented to a point that the yeasts have fun out of food or the gluten has been broken down. What you need to do is build the strength back up by giving it a couple of sets of stretch and folds and providing its not over fermented you’ll gain back a strong dough. I suggest as well as going easier on the bulk ferment you try this if you find the dough unmanageable. Wet your hands and while the dough is in the bowl gently take hold of a portion of the dough from the out side and fold it into the middle. Repeat going round the bowl till the dough tightens up back into a dough with a strong structure. Rest for about ten to fifteen minutes then proceed with shaping by turning it out on a floured bench etc.