Purple Sweet Potato Black Sesame Sourdough

I love the effect that sweet potatoes have on tenderizing the crumb and the sweet flavour of sweet potatoes and thought I should make another sweet potato sourdough but instead of pecans, this time adding black sesame seeds. Those who know me know I love the flavour of sesame seeds and black sesame seeds in particular.

This formula makes a 900 g dough.

I built both the levain and saltolyse dough in the evening starting both with fridge cold water and some fridge time.

Levain 1:4:4 10 g starter 40 g 2ÂşC water and 40 g whole wheat

Saltolyse dough mix.

290 g water 2ÂşC dissolve 2% salt 8.18 g then mix 331 g bread or all purpose flour and 41 g whole wheat flour. Then place in fridge.

Just before bedtime take both out of the fridge and leave at a cool room temperature overnight.

In the morning once the levain has just peaked, spread 74 g of levain over the top of the dough, then pinch or press into the dough with wet fingers. The stretch and fold in the bowl followed by 150 slap and folds on the counter. Let rest in bowl for 20-30 mins in proofing box at 80ÂşF. Bulk fermentation has started and fermentation at 80ÂşF for remainder of bulk.

Clean 1 sweet potato and poke all over with fork. Microwave 5-10 mins until well cooked/soft. Cut open and remove meat and mash thoroughly. If the potato is dry, add some neutral oil while mashing and a pinch of salt. Allow to cool to room temperature. Next time I would instead poke with the fork, coat it all over with olive oil and bake until softened and then follow with the instructions above. I think this would result in a moister mashed purple sweet potato mash.

Divide dough in two and do a counter letterfold to the first half then placing it back in the bowl in proofing box. To the other half of the dough do a strong letterfold smearing the mashed sweet potato on the dough prior to each fold incorporating all the potato. Place dough in a separate bowl into proofing box. The sweet potato may interfere with gluten formation so incorporating it separately helps ensure that the gluten is maximized.

After 30 mins do a double lamination as in my video incorporating the black sesame seeds during the lamination.

Remove 30-40 g of the dough and set up your aliquot jar. See video for further information on how to use the aliquot jar to assess bulk fermentation.

The aliquot jar should be kept next to the dough throughout bulk fermentation to ensure that the temperature and rate of fermentation is as close to the main dough as possible. Each time you remove the dough for coil folds remove the aliquot jar as well from the proofing box.

Do 3-4 sets of coil folds for the remainder of bulk fermentation at 30-40 mins intervals until a good windowpane is achieved. Bulk fermentation ends once your aliquot jar reaches 60% rise. Go directly to final shaping, the last coil fold will act as your pre-shaping one of the advantages of using coil folds.

Once shaped and placed in a rice flour dusted banneton, place into a plastic bag or cover with reusable plastic shower cap (this is what I use now to cover the dough in banneton or in a bowl) and place in fridge for cold retard overnight.

The next morning, pre-heat oven 500ÂşF with dutch oven inside. After 1 hour when oven has reached 500ÂşF remove dough turning out onto parchment paper. Brush off excess rice flour and score. Brush dough liberally with water, this helps with blisters and increases the steam in the dutch oven for excellent oven spring. Transfer to the dutch oven dropping the temperature to 450ÂşF and bake in dutch oven covered for 20 mins. After 20 mins remove cover and drop oven to 420ÂşF. Bake for another 23-25 mins turning the dutch oven halfway through continuing to bake without the cover until the crust is a rich mahogany brown.

3 Likes

Here is the baked loaf. I tried an S score for the first time and think it turned out pretty well.

3 Likes

Beautiful loaf @Bentio. Nice photos and videos!

1 Like

Thank you Paul for having a look, I appreciate your comment.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is gorgeous!

1 Like

Thanks so much, I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

4 Likes

@Bentio What a stunning loaf!

Leah

1 Like

Thanks so much Leah, it makes great toast as well.

@Bentio I’m mesmerized by the color of that loaf. I cook with sweet potatoes quite frequently but I’ve never tried purple sweet potatoes. I imagine they taste similar to the others. Do they? I love sesame seeds but have only used the white ones. That loaf has to taste as awesome as it looks. And yes, toasted to bring out the flavor. Okay, I’m salivating now. :yum:

Leah

1 Like

I think that the purple ones are slightly more floral in flavour, but milder perhaps that the more common orange ones. I really like them for bread and I love the way it can colour the crumb and you don’t have to do anything special to keep the colour as you have to with beets (Vit C). The black sesame seeds have a stronger flavour than the white ones and they are my favorite but I love both. Asian cultures use a lot of black sesame seeds in both desserts and savory dishes. You must give them a try.

Brilliant, looks wonderful!!

1 Like

Patrick, thanks so much for having a look at my bread, I appreciate it. Hopefully you’ll give it a try sometime.

Making this tomorrow! You are inspiring, @Benito

1 Like

@Melissa_Florida, don’t be lazy like me and microwave the sweet potato, it lead to it being a bit dry. Instead either steam it for bake it. When I’ve baked it I’ve pricked it with a fork rubbed it all over with olive oil, then baked it wrapped in foil. Either would be more moist and would incorporated even better. I look forward to your bake.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks.
My timetable is a bit different from yours, as it has been very warm here lately, but I should have a nice loaf by tomorrow afternoon… fingers crossed!

My loaf is a bit different from the original recipe, as I lack some equipment and couldn’t find purple sweet potatoes. I ended up using home-milled hard white wheat and all-purpose, unbleached flour. I also used poppy seeds instead of sesame.

The ears of my loaf made it look like Batman :slight_smile: and it tastes great!

@Benito, your video on double lamination really came in handy- thank you! The recipe was definitely worth the effort.

3 Likes

@Melissa_Florida I think “Batman” looks delicious!

Leah

2 Likes

Beautiful job @Melissa_Florida, I love the Batman scoring, very original and perfect for halloween. I hope you enjoy the flavour and texture of the loaf. I like that I can see your sweet potato in the crumb.

1 Like

Did you add the entire purple sweet potato mash? If not, did you weigh what you added? I have 1 purple sweet potato and am curious if I can get multiple loaves out of it – I want that purple-ish color! :slight_smile:

I added this to get 744g
290g water
8g salt
331g bread flour
41g whole wheat flour
74g levain

You write it’s 900g dough, so 900 - 744 = 156g purple sweet potato?

2 Likes