Pumpkin Pie with Sourdough Crust

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

2 Likes

#Fermentada Melissa, should the sourdough starter be active/fresh or discard ?

It’s up to you. Discard will add some tang, of course.

1 Like

I tried the recipe and the crust turned black. Probably, I haven’t mixed properly the ingredients.

I’m sorry your crust didn’t work out. Do you mean it turned black when baking? Or prior?

It turned black while baking, but I suppose it was only my fault. I haven’t preheated the oven to 375F, thus catalyzing the crust to get black. Most of the pumpkin dishes I cook turn into a complete failure. As an exception, are pumpkin cheesecake bars made of two layers: classic vanilla and pumpkin layer cheesecake. The recipe impressed me with simple ingredients and variations:

• A few cups of graham cracker crumbs
  • Brown sugar
  • Spices: Ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves
  • Melted butter
    For the layer, you will need:
  • Cream cheese: We prefer to use full-fat cream cheese.
  • White sugar
  • Cornstarch
  • Eggs
  • Sour cream
  • Vanilla extract
  • Pumpkin puree
  • Spices
    That’s a super easy recipe that you and your family will indulge.

I made cheesecake brownies on Labor Day weekend. I’m pro cheesecake + anything :slight_smile:

Back to the black pie crust, this may be stuff you already do/know, but make sure to use a pie shield, silicone or homemade with foil, for a good portion of the baking time. Also I’d avoid the convection setting on your oven for baking pies.

I decided to try this crust with my usual, back of the Libby’s can, filling recipe.

I pre-baked the crust for 15 minutes at 375° and I am sorry to say that I ended up with a pool of grease in the bottom of the crust. I removed the excess grease before filling the crust and baking the pie. After baking, there was a significant amount of grease in the tray that I put below the pie judt in case.

I may not have processed the butter and flour enough in order to incorporate the butter enough.

I’ll find out how it (the crust) tastes, tomorrow, but I don’t have a lot of hope for it.

I’m sorry you got a grease puddle after the parbaking. My fingers are crossed that the end product is still delicious.

In the butter tart recipe, there was some free grease when I used a lower extraction flour, but I’ve used this pie crust recipe with white AP also and it was okay :thinking: It seems like baking mysteries are most prone to happening on high stakes days. Sigh