Pumpernickel Raisin Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

This looks so appetizing. I have to try this, but first two questions: Did you use light, dark or black strap molasses? And, if we don’t have blue conico corn, can we use polenta corn grits or yellow cornmeal instead?

Thanks :blush: I used unsulphured molasses, Grandma’s brand, that I think you can find in most grocery stores.
Any corn is okay, but if the grind is coarse as opposed to powdery-fine, then you may want to soak/scald it longer.

Where does the optional brown sugar come into play?

I need to add a note about that! Thanks for asking. The brown sugar sweetness makes the cocoa powder read more chocolatey. I prefer without, but for a bread that edges into “breakfast pastry,” add the sugar.

Hi,
Is there a substitute flour for the rouge de bordeaux flour?

What type of corn flour/ meal should I get?

What is a corn scald?

I am forever in search of a “ true” pumpernickel”! I hope I can figure this out!
Thank you!
RobinBB

You can use any whole wheat flour in place of rouge de bordeaux.

Aim for a fine-ground cornmeal/corn flour.

Scalding a flour is when you mix it with very hot water. You can learn more about it in this article/experiment:

I hope you like this recipe! If the pumpernickel you’re aiming for is extra chewy, like a pumpernickel bagel, you might substitute the rouge de bordeaux flour for more bread flour instead.

I am all set. This makes one loaf, correct? Can I double this as written to make 2?
Also I occasionally make ricotta cheese. Can I use whey instead of water in the bread recipes?
Thanks
Rita

Yes, you can double the recipe.

Using whey is fine – you can heat it for the scald and use instant coffee in the dough or, I suppose you could make a whey pour over coffee :woozy_face::grin:

Thank you for your help. I meant generally about the whey. As for the doubling, I risked it so I have one for my daughter and one for me. It smells delicious and I am just starting my folds!

Kia ora from Aotearoa New Zealand.
This recipe sound yum!
Since I haven’t access to the suggested blue corn I am wondering whether ‘cornmeal’ is the same as what we call ‘polenta’. I’ve got a coarse variety here, but could try to process it to fine or buy fine polenta if it doesn’t look right.
I find very interesting ideas on your website and think I can get good results with my sourdough with less fuss I am used to in my 30 years of sourdough baking.
Ngā mihi
Sigi

I’m glad you’re finding Breadtopia’s content interesting. With 30 years of sourdough baking, your wealth of knowledge must be vast.

Fine cornmeal would be ideal. Coarse would do okay also since it’s not a huge portion of the total flour.