Protein in bread

Does anyone know how to calculate grams of protein per slice of bread

If your recipe is simple using just flour, water, salt and yeast (or starter) then all protein is coming from the flour and it’ll tell you the protein on the packet.

If you do any add-ins then it’s easy to work out the added protein from the nutrition on the package or average protein % for things like eggs, milk etc.

2 Likes

Just math then

1 Like

That’s how i would do it.

Pretty simple figure the total protein from the ingredients then measure the loaf then figure how many slices per loaf and divide the total grams of protein by that. I can do that

1 Like

Yup, calculating protein is easier/more exact than trying to calculate carbs, since the yeast and bacteria are consuming the carbs during fermentation.

Agree but if I were counting carb I wouldn’t be eating bread or drinking beer I guess. Im more obsessed with protein which i find my body craves after a bike ride or workout. Im always adding stuff to my breads looking for protein and Omega3. I usually wash egg whites on the loaf to add a bit of protein. Anyone have othe hints? Whey?

You can add some protein to your breads using things like pea and bean flour which the peasants used to add to their breads in medieval times. Don’t knock it. Even though they did this to bulk up the flour because they were poor it was higher in protein and tasty.

Well, I came to the forum to ask just this. Not the protein but the carbs. You say it’s difficult given the fermentation process but is there some way of ballparking it? Not that I’m going to stop eating the sourdough but I need ammo for a “discussion” with a low-carb diet advocate friend.