Proofing Sourdough Help needed

Please help!! Autolyse started at 7am, 8:00 well fed starter (that is 6 weeks old) added that had >tripled in size (started at 4:30am) 8:30 added salt. Did 5 coils folds between 9am- 11am. Recipe: 100g starter, 360g water, 350g white bread flour, 150g spelt flour and 10g salt. Kitchen temp is 70’F. Dough is sticky. Did I over proof? Just not there yet?
The dough is on the counter on a towel wrapped with 2 additional towels.
This is my 3rd attempt and none have been successful - first time over proofed and the second jumped the time and underproofed.
Also if it’s not fully proofed yet and it gets to be bedtime, do I put it in the fridge as is? What do I then do in the morning??
Thank you in advance for all of your expertise and words of encouragement.

What hydration is your starter? Is your spelt flour, fresh milled whole spelt?

If Levain was 60% hydration your overall hydration would be 71%, if Levain 100% your overall hydration would be 75% and if Levain was 125% overall hydration would be 76%. Based on my experience I would recommend 3 hours of bulk fermentation, I would do 5 set of folds every 20 minutes. Then continue remainder of bulk fermentation for 1 hour 20 minutes. Then I would shape loaf then leave at room temperature for 30 minutes then place in plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.

My leveling is 100% hydration. My spelt flour is stone ground Bob’s Red Mill.

Thank you!

1 Like