Pozole made with homemade hominy

Yesterday I followed this recipe (more or less) to make Pozole, a Mexican pork and corn stew-soup, also can be made with chicken etc. It was really good!

In checking the Masienda site to see whether they carry dried ancho peppers (no), I now see they have a recipe too.

I used white bolita corn that I simmered in lime/calcium hydroxide the night before and soaked overnight. Here’s a thread on nixtamalizing with a link to a Masienda how-to video.

800g dried corn (I guessed at this amount since the recipe gave hominy in canned ounces)
8g cal
I rinsed it in the morning, separating out a small amount for making tortillas (which I rinsed a little less).

I soaked some dry anaheim peppers I had, but ancho, or ancho and guajillo, would’ve been ideal.

Pureed a mix of garlic and soaked peppers, then sieved the solids out.
Sauteed onions, more garlic, cumin-and-salt rubbed pork shoulder.
Added oregano, bay leaf, bone broth, the chile sauce, salt, and simmered for 3 hours.

About 1 hour before it was done, I added my hominy/nixtamalized corn, which wasn’t cooked through because of the tortilla plan. Usually you cook hominy all the way through and tortilla corn partway thru.
I also made a cabbage-lime-jalapeno-salt salad and cut up some onions, cilantro, and peppers. Cheese and avocado are options too, but I didn’t have them.

1 Like

Wow does that ever look delicious!

Thank you, Benny. I’m looking forward to leftovers tonight!