Potato Flake Starter Advice for Gluten Free baking

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I realize that breadtopia is primarily a format for their own products but I am not sure where else to go. I do not do the social media stuff.

Years ago, I used to make sourdough bread using a potato flake, water, yeast, and sugar prep, feeding/using it about once a week. It was wildly successful and delicious. I stopped partly b/c of gluten issues in the family. I am starting it up again with the hopes of making gluten free sourdough bread from scratch, seeing as how there are lots of gluten free flours now available. I am also experimenting with Einkorn flour.

Before I get into the issues I’m having, I would appreciate being able to connect with anyone who has experience with gluten free flours/einkorn flour, and the potato flake starter. If you can recommend a better forum so I don’t impose on this one, that would be great, but again note that I don’t do the facebook thing.

Any information would be appreciated.
God bless you.
Baba

Hi Baba,

I hope you’ll get a lot of GF info through your question here. There are more wheat flour bakers here than not, but many of us like to experiment with different grains.

Here’s a recipe I developed a while ago that uses only einkorn flour:

The GF sourdough starter recipe in this blog post starts with brown rice flour, and you don’t have to transition it to a mix of brown rice flour and Breadtopia’s GF bread flour as instructed. My brown rice flour starter was actually quite vigorous following these directions.

Here’s a gluten free buckwheat bread recipe, and in the comments, you can see some quinoa variations:

I hope this helps.

Oh, also you might look into this book:

Thank you very much, Fermentata! That is very kind of you :slight_smile: I will check each of these out.

1 Like