Poor fit on combo baker

The top and bottom of my combo baker fit poorly, allowing steam to escape, resulting in poor oven spring. I’ve been requesting help from customer service since July, but all I’ve received are two automated ticket numbers…no human response. Anyone else have issues with the fit? I’m attaching a photo of the baker with a flashlight inside so you can see what I’m talking about.

Can you direct message me the email address you used when you contacted customer service. I recall helping on this, so I am going to look up the communication but need that email or an order number. It’s possible that our response went to your spam folder.

Was there ever a resolution here? I’m considering the Combo for my next baker (though maybe the Hearth, unsure what the big difference is between them other than an inch here/there) but if this gap is the case across the board, I doubt I’m interested…

Here’s an explanation I wrote up:

Some things to consider in picking a shape:

Combo Baker fits boules, batards, and miches (huge boules).

Hearth Baker fits boules, batards, huge batards, and two demi baguettes.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! That makes total sense. What would be your ideal batard weight for the combo baker? Which recipes are the ones pictured above? They look really stunning!

Re: resolution. I felt that the gaps were allowing what little steam I had to escape. I thought perhaps my high elevation (7400 ft) and low humidity played a part in spreading/flattening boules. Breadtopia kindly gave me a credit and I purchased the Breadtopia Cloche, which is smaller in diameter and the rim of the cloche fits more securely onto the bottom “pan.”

In reading Melissa’s response, however, I think maybe the problem was that the combo baker was simply too large for my boule.

1 Like