Pompeii bread re-created

I thought this was a neat pull-apart bread idea. An archaeologist re-created bread from Pompeii, and the recipe includes a link to making a legume starter:

3 Likes

Well isn’t that just so interesting, a legume starter. I’ve never ever heard of chickling vetch before nor do I think I’ve ever seen it anywhere. Interesting that it contains a neurotoxin. Can we safely assume other legumes might also be effective in creating a starter? I suspect we could choose a safer legume. Who’s going try this first?

The “git” or “roman coriander” in the recipe is more commonly known as nigella seed or black coriander (Nigella sativa). Not uncommon in rye breads. I don’t know why they had to choose a particularly obscure one of most of the confusingly many names this seed has.

@ericjs Seriously? nigella seeds? I agree the choice of the term git is odd then, especially without at least a “commonly known as _____” added somewhere.

@Benito Maybe next week :slight_smile: I’ll try with some bean variety I have in stock. I’d been thinking the stomach etc discomfort described in the legume article might be lectins/phytic acid – removed with sprouting, fermentation, or high temp cooking. Kidney beans are known for causing such problems if eaten raw. But the neurotoxin thing is another level.

https://youtu.be/DYTuNXq1eBk

Nice - his mixing technique looked like a satisfying workout.

I do that… but in a bowl. The finicky version :slight_smile:

Maybe that’s the term most commonly known by archaeologists? I swear every time I turn around I see a different term for this seed. The place I order spices from has taken to labeling it “charnushka” and I just recently I saw “kalonji”. I’ve also seen it called “black cumin” and “black onion seeds”.

Perhaps the terminology is being used to add to the ambience of the article.

1 Like

@ericjs That’s a lot of names. Keeps you on your toes lol

@Abe I think it took one accidental river of egg flowing out my volcano of flour when making pasta dough for me to be committed to mixing vessels with sides.

1 Like

We come full circle back to Pompeii bread

1 Like

.:joy:.:rofl:.