Polenta Porridge Sourdough

My list of things I’d like to bake keeps getting longer but today I finally struck this one off my list. For some time I’ve wanted to try adding polenta to my sourdough bread. Kingdom Bread Tampa had posted a recipe for polenta bread so I based my recipe on theirs with some minor alterations. When there is a small amount of wholegrain in the dough I like to use it in the levain, that way the bran is fully hydrated. I increased the polenta and the percentage of salt I used is based on the flour and the polenta while theirs was based on the flour alone. I also added diastatic malt to ensure that I was able to get a deeply coloured crust.

Cook polenta until thickened and gelatinized in a small pot on the stovetop. Allow to cool and then refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge in the morning to allow to come to room temperature or if you’re using the stand mixer add cold to keep final dough temperature from getting too high.

Build levain overnight with the aim to be at peak in the morning. At 76°F 3x rise and dome flattening at 11 hours.

Add water and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve salt. Add the stiff levain and break into small pieces. Add the bread flour, mix on speed 1 until no dry flour remains. Rest for 10-15 mins. At medium speed mix to develop the gluten. When the gluten is moderately to well developed add the polenta porridge in small aliquots. Mix until well incorporated.

Bulk fermentation aiming for 40% rise to shape. Perform coil folds every 30 mins until dough is strong and isn’t spreading.

Once the pH has dropped by 1.0 then shape the dough into a batard and then start final proofed shaped and resting in a banneton.

Once the pH has dropped by a further 0.3 it will be time for baking. Place the dough in the freezer when the pH drops by 0.25 and then pre-heat oven at 500°F with cast iron skillet in the oven and set up for open steam baking. 30 mins prior to baking, pour 1 L of boiling water into metal loaf pan with Sylvia towel and place on baking steel on the lowest rack of the oven.
Once oven reaches 500ºF turn dough out of banneton, brush excess rice flour off, score and then brush with water. Transfer to oven. Pour 250 mL of boiling water into the cast iron skillet on a high shelf, high enough that the dough have fully bloom. Drop temperature to 450ºF and bake with steam for 25 mins. Then vent oven and remove all steaming gear and drop temperature to 425ºF. Bake for another 25-30 mins rotating as needed.

I put together this video to show how I shape and score a batard.

The polenta flavour isn’t that strong, I’d increase the polenta next time, but the creaminess it gives the crumb is amazing!

That looks delicious!

1 Like

Thank you Melissa, although the texture was what I was looking for, 5% which is higher than the original recipe’s 4% wasn’t enough to really taste the polenta. I’ll need to go higher next time for sure.
Benny

Amazing crumb!

1 Like

Thanks so much AG.