Pima club versus Sonora

I’m interested in opinions anyone might have with working with both of these wheats for baked goods. I have lately been using Sonora for cookies pie crust and quick breads. Wondering if anyone has a favorite soft wheat that they would use in place of all purpose in baked goods recipes.
Bonus if anyone has an opinion about what these would do in something like biscotti. I’m not making biscotti I’m making Fayesh- an Egyptian twice baked unsweetened biscuit . Its essentially a dough with a starter that is risen and baked into small round loads or big rolls, then cut in slices and baked again to toast it to a hard biscuit.

I’ve used Kamut/khorasan for biscotti and liked the results. It’s a stronger wheat than soft white but not super strong, and it has a nice buttery flavor.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try khorasan

Soft wheat varieties have lower protein content compared to hard wheat varieties, such as those used in all-purpose flour. Soft wheats are typically preferred for delicate and tender baked goods like cakes, cookies, and pastries. They result in products with a softer texture and a more crumbly, tender crumb. Sonora wheat, for example, has a rich, nutty flavor, which can add an interesting twist to your baked goods.

I often use spelt (whole grain, home ground) for such things and I’ve been happy with the result (no claims for pie crust which I don’t have much experience with). Rye can also work surprisingly well, if you’re feeling really adventurous.