Pastiera Napoletana

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

2 Likes

Che bella Pastiera Napolitana! That looks wonderful! I am always intrigued by complex confections and this one is hitting on all cylinders! I also love the traditional aspect and the historical back story! Great job Melissa!

I agree with @djd418 on this Melissa, such an interesting pastry with an interesting history. I love learning about all these baked goods that I have never heard about before through your articles and posts.
Benny

Thank you, @djd418 and @Benito
I’ve always liked cheesecake but found it needed more dimension…? I’m not sure if that’s the right word, but regardless, Pastiera Napoletana is an exciting discovery of a sorta-cheesecake with a lot more going on. And the soft white wheat porridge is so phenomenal.

How does one find whole milk sheep ricotta? Sheep milk is incredibly creamy and delicious (it puts me in mind of a milkshake) but I’ve never seen (or eaten) sheep milk ricotta that hasn’t been made from whey.

I suspect you know more about sheep’s milk ricotta than I do. Are you saying you can find it in the States but it’s always part skim?

Sorry, I completely forgot about responding to you.
You mentioned whole milk sheep ricotta, so I assumed that you knew of such a product. The sheep ricotta I buy is imported from Italy and is made from whey (not skim milk), as is the buffalo ricotta I buy.

My family has been making this pie for nearly 100 years. Me, a good 45 years. I have streamlined it over the years so its not so unwieldy. This receipt is the closest I have seen published.

My new friend for my Easter pie prep is the instant pot. Cook your (I use cracked wheat berries- they remain toothsome but not too firm) wheat in the IP for 40 minutes. You can do it with milk, or water. Add an orange peel. Cool overnight in the fridge and its perfect for use the next day, so easy. No soaking, no endless boiling.

I’m so happy to hear this recipe sounds good to someone with your experience making pastiera. That is the highest praise :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and thank you for sharing your instant pot tip. I need to start making a wheat porridge like this year round. I love the texture of cooked wheat berries.

Here is a beautiful Instagram Reel @dustingofflour just posted of making this pastiera napolentana. Enjoy! Sometimes these links take you to the “next” Reel, so swipe down if you don’t land on Puccini :musical_note: and a marble countertop.