Paska, Ukrainian Easter Bread

This Easter, instead of making a Colomba Pasquale (Easter version of Panettone), I decided to make something Ukrainian. This is my attempt at a Ukranian Paska Easter bread (yeasted). It is enriched with milk, butter and eggs, flavored with vanilla+lemon+orange+honey and includes rum-soaked golden raisins. Based on this recipe. In my version, I increased the citrus, cut back on the sugar and replaced with some honey and added vanilla. Also, soaked the golden raisins in a solution of equal parts white rum and water over night. The resulting loaves make great toast but they were a bit dense and the vanilla and citrus weren’t coming through as much as I would like. Of course, the rum-soaked raisins were a definite high point!

Next time I would like to double the aromatics again and possibly final proof a bit longer to get a slightly more open crumb. Also, I’d like to work on my braiding, especially where the ends of the braided loop reconnect. That said, it was fun to make, it will make great toast (maybe French toast!) and it was lots easier than making Colomba! Happy Easter and happy baking!

1 Like

That is so beautiful. Did you use a springform pan?

Yes. Based on a comparison of 3 similar recipes, I guessed I could make a double batch and get 2 loaves, one in an 8" springform pan and another in a 9" one. It probably would have worked better if I had 2 8" pans, but sadly, I only have one. That said, I was happy enough with the results. :slight_smile:

The cross on the smaller loaf wasn’t as nice as on the larger loaf, but the braid worked out better on the smaller one.

Dan, these look wonderful and I’m sure tasted great too. The braiding looks really successful to me, they are beautiful bakes.

1 Like

So lovely! And two to enjoy. I think my only springform pan is 10 inch. I’ll be in math-land for a while when I try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lovely loaves, Dan.
Richard

1 Like

Thanks Richard!

@djd418 They’re beautiful! I’m picturing a good-sized slab of that bread, slathered in butter and a nice hot cuppa strong tea…oh my! I’m salivating!

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Thanks Leah!