"Parching" barley flour?

Hey, I hope this is the right category for this, but I was wondering if anyone knows something about “parching” barley flour prior to making bread with it, which seems to be synonymous to toasting or lightly roasting it.

A couple random sources I’ve found briefly alluded to it being a common old practice that allegedly “improves the flavor” and one implied that doing so was virtually ESSENTIAL to making good barley bread. But I could find very little consistent detail anywhere, regarding either the how, OR most importantly the why of it.

I’ve tried toasting freshly ground hullless barley from my nutrimill in a skillet and found it slightly tedious to do, all told, and felt there was no great flavor revelation, while on the other hand at the moment I just finished eating some slices from a pan loaf that was a mix of wheat, barley (NOT “parched”), and a few rolled oats which is quite delicious–and which my 4-year-old virtually inhaled. But I haven’t worked with barley enough yet to have done any controlled side-by-side comparisons.

Any thoughts…? :thinking:

Well I’ve toasted barley malt in my oven wasn’t hard I don’t know about flour though. Different roast levels bring different flavors. What you would need to due mill it as fine as you can and then sift out the hulls. If you use malt you would also add sweetness but not sure about unmalted barley. Anyway it would be a fun experiment. Actually you could just buy roasted barley from a homebrew shop