Pane Siciliano (Semolina and Sesame Sourdough Bread)

The only issue I had was using the baking temps and times in the above recipe. I found the crust getting dark with 12 minutes left on the clock. I covered it with some foil so no harm but next time I’ll go to my standard bake sequence

3 Likes

I’ll post the crumb when I open it

Excellent oven spring. Not sure how his loaves are so pale in comparison. Yours looks lovely. They both do.

1 Like

This took forever. Couldn’t see any of the stages through from beginning till end without interruption. Been a very busy few days and the dough went into, and out of, the fridge many times. Helpful, but slowed the whole process down. At one point I thought if this bread ever gets baked and it turns out ok it’ll be a miracle. Still cooling but so far so good.

3 Likes

That’s beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you, Paul.

Looks a little dense on the bottom but its not really. Taste and aroma is nice

1 Like

What was the ratio of semolina to bread flour in the end? Looks like a nice crumb to me. Typical of semolina. Toast it and dip it into some EVOO.

Very nice bake.

1 Like

50:50 for the main dough but the levain was regular AP with mostly whole wheat/white starter

I think it’s worth treating yourself to some semola rimacinata and giving it another try for the full benefit of this lovely flour.

There is a lovely recipe using 60:40 durum and bread flour with pine nuts, raisins and fennel seeds. One of my all time favourite recipes…

1 Like

That looks delicious! Same loaf baked in a pan? Let us know when you have sampled it. I love the look of the seeds all the way around the sides.

1 Like

@Brewcat: Well done! Did you bake on a stone with steam?

Yes I did. I actually used a new stone that is thicker and biggeer than my old one so I was able to do 2 loaves at once turned half way through. My oven is not a steam oven I just put a pan on the bottom shelf while I preheat so its hot then after I load the loaves I pour in a glass of hot water. The recipe said vent which happens when I turn the loaves. My oven doesn’t say convection but I hear a fan go on

Not sure I can get the rimacinata locally but maybe I can order something. Ive looked at some online flour but the shipping cost usually turns me off. I’ll keep my eyes opened

Thank you, Pat. This is the very same recipe just baked in a pullman loaf pan. Will be enjoying this (hopefully) for breakfast and i’ll post the results.

Toasts up a treat. Delicious.

2 Likes

Lovely color! Thanks for sharing. My attempt is on the go now. I have never worked with a stiff levain before, and it is a little difficult to know when it is ready. Plus, it got down to 60F by the morning, so I will give it a bit more time before mixing. Did you use the Caputo brand?

1 Like

Thank you @oaklandpat.

Some ideas for your bake… It is a good idea to make sure your starter build is fully mature. It will be well risen and the dome will begin to flatten. Some small holes might just begin to appear on top.

Also don’t rush the bulk ferment. Make sure the dough is well risen and puffy before moving on. If your house is cool expect it to take quite a bit longer. Don’t jump the gun. You are not tied to the recipes timings.

I used the Caputo brand.

Thanks for the reminders not to rush. I often worry about over proofing to the extent that I underproof! I try to keep my dough and levain reasonably warm by creating a warm spot in my microwave with a jug of hot water which I periodically re-heat, but it does not stay warm enough during the overnight period when it is left unattended.

Baking planned for tomorrow morning.

1 Like

4 Likes