Pane Giallo

I’ve been having fun trying recipes from Dan Leader’s “Living Bread.” I’ve baked his Pane Di Altamura several times, as well as his focaccia and calzone from the same dough. This week I tried making Pane Giallo (yellow bread) which is a similar recipe using semolina rimacinata flour, but with the addition of 300 g of polenta and EVOO (which I forgot to add). I made polenta using stone ground Floriani Red Flint Cornmeal cooked with milk and water until creamy. I was hoping for a stronger corn flavor, but it was very subtle, but the bread was still delicious. I’m not sure what the exclusion of EVOO might have had. I prefer his Altamura bread recipe, but I’ll enjoy this one this week.

Richard

3 Likes

The bread is well named, the crumb is really a gorgeous shade of yellow. Very nicely baked Richard, I love it.

Thanks, Benny.

I love cornbread especially sourdough like Broa di Milho. You have two flours here, rimacinata and corn, which really shine when eaten with olive oil or oily foods like fish. I reckon that missing out the olive oil made quite a difference but you can always eat it with olive oil. Very nice bake Richard, but worth repeating with the EVOO.

Thanks, Abe. I’m sorry that you have to experience extreme heat and drought from climate change. I think of you almost every morning when I click on the New York Times and read the reports of your heat wave.
Richard

Its clear climate change is happening, Richard. I think we have to accept this will be the new norm.

Right now i’m in Florida on vacation.

1 Like

I see that it’s around 90 degrees with scattered thunderstorms, which usually cool it off, in Florida. I’ve been in Florida in August…humid, humid, humid, and throw in a few bugs. I’m on the opposite side of the country, in the Pacific Northwest, Portland, Oregon. Fortunately, we haven’t had the record-setting heat wave that we had last year. I’ll stop worrying about you suffering through the heatwave in England. Europe is getting hit hard with climate change, and on top of the war in the Ukraine.
Richard

Where are in Florida are you now Abe, pretty hot there in August no matter where in Florida. You might know that we have an apartment in Fort Lauderdale.
Benny

1 Like

Been very hot Benny. Today it’s rainy but still very warm. I knew you had a place in Florida but wasn’t aware it was in Ft Lauderdale. Staying in B Ocean Resort. Haven’t had a chance to visit Florida since before covid. Regularly go to Miami and meet up with Alan but this time decided to stay closer. Been a very nice vacation, meeting up with Alan and we’re going to a bar/pub soon taking our own food while sampling their home brews. On day we should plan to be there at the same time.

We’re quite familiar with that resort Abe and although we have driven by it many times have never stayed there. Alan is a wonderful host and we too have enjoyed his company with and without his wife. Someday we need to be in Fort Lauderdale at the same time and meet.

Anyhow sorry to take your thread off topic Richard, apologies, but again, your Pane Giallo is inspiring.
Benny