Pan Loaves: 50% whole-grain

I bake bread once a week, primarily for toast and sandwiches for my lunch. While I enjoy artisan breads in the shape of a boule or batard, the size and shape of a pan loaf is very convenient for sandwiches. While there are hundreds of recipes for honey wheat pan loaves, I’ve found few recipes using many of the flours that I enjoy: Einkorn, Spelt, Rouge de Bordeaux, Yecora Rojo, Rye and others. I’ve been using a high-protein bread flour called Glacier Peak, a more sifted form of Yecora Rojo, combined with one of the above home-milled fours. I’ve been using the following recipe: bread flour 50%, whole-grain freshly-milled flour 50%, water 78%, salt 2%, and liquid (100%) levain 10%. I’ve made each of the above combinations, and they’ve turned out well. This week’s bread is with 50% Einkorn flour:

Richard

2 Likes

My idea of a perfect pan loaf crumb, Richard. 50% wholegrain to-boot! Very nice loaves.

Thanks, Abe. I’ve enjoyed this easy and nutritious pan loaf recipe. I think I’ll play around with making pan versions of some of my favorite bread recipes.
Richard