Pan de Cristal IDY

Martin Philip of King Arthur recently posted a video of his pan de Cristal. I’ve always wanted to try baking this unique bread and I’m glad that I have now. I believe most recipes for this bread have some olive oil in them, so I added that. Also rather than mixing all the water at once, I bassinage the water gradually. I used my Ankarsrum Assistent to mix since I am still learning to use it and want to get as much experience as possible. It does an awesome job with bassinage. It is said to be gentle on the dough and I believe it does. I might have thought that the crumb would be tight having used a mixer to mix, however, I don’t think the crumb shows that at all. This bread has the finest crumb and a thin shattering crust. You can see why it is named Pan de Cristal, you can shine a light through the bread, even the bottom crust can show light easily through it. Each loaf feels like air, it weighs so little yet tastes so good and has such satisfying texture with the contrast of the crisp crust and soft open crumb.

For 2 medium breads

250 g water (175 g for mix) then bassinage 75 g

250 g bread flour

1.25 g IDY

5 g salt

6.26 g olive oil

Mix all flour and 175 g of water then rest 15 mins.

Dissolve 1.25 g IDY in 15 g of water add to mixer and mix until well absorbed.

Dissolve 5 g of salt in about 15 g of water and then add to the mixer until well absorbed. The addition of the salt will tighten the gluten a bit.

Bassinage the rest of the water in small aliquots waiting until the water is well absorbed before adding more.

Once all the water has been added the dough appears to be well developed, drizzle in the olive oil while the mixer is running. Mix until well incorporated, this will not take very long.

Grease a Pyrex dish with olive oil and then pour the dough into the dish. Do a few folds to get the dough into a nice roundish shape.

Place the dough in a warm place, 78°F and every 20 mins do a coil fold, stop when the dough seems to have good structure. I did three sets of coil folds.

Allow the dough to rest 2 hours.

After 2 hours the dough will have risen nicely, about double volume.

Flour the top of the dough especially around the edge of the dish. Sprinkle a generous amount of dough onto your countertop. Using a bowl scraper release the sides of the dough from the dish, then gently invert the dish so the dough releases onto the floured countertop. Generously flour the top of the dough. Using a bench scraper cut the dough carefully into two or four pieces (depends on whether you made a full or half batch). Ensure the cut edges are well floured, then gently transfer two pieces onto one piece of parchment, repeat if a full batch was made.

There is no need to cover the dough at this point, just keep it away from drafts. The development of a thin skin is actually fine and may help with the oven spring.

Allow the loaves to rest at room temperature for 2 hours, uncovered. While the loaves are resting, preheat the oven to 475°F with a baking stone or steel on a lower rack.

1 hour before final proof is complete, pre-heat your oven to 475°F with a baking stone or steel on the lowest rack. Place the other rack in the upper half of the oven.

The dough is ready to bake when it looks puffy and there are large bubbles visible in all pieces of dough on the surface.

To bake the bread: Carefully slide the two loaves (still resting on the parchment) into the oven onto the preheated stone or steel. If space is tight and the full sheet of parchment won’t fit on the stone or steel, cut the parchment between the two loaves and arrange them as best you can. Allow the other two loaves to continue to rest.

Bake the loaves for 15 minutes, then transfer them, from the stone or steel, directly onto a rack in the upper third of the oven for an additional 13 to 15 minutes. (Leave the stone in place.) Moving them to the rack allows the baking stone or steel to become hot again in preparation for the next two loaves. After a total of 27 to 30 minutes of baking, remove the loaves from the oven and allow them to cool on a rack.

Repeat the process with the two remainingloaves. Cool the bread fully before slicing.

1 Like

Oooh, nice! I saw this formula and was immediately anxious to try it. I’m glad you have already done so because it looks amazing. I’ve been asked to bread to a dinner party on Sunday. Although I would be nervous about gifting a brand new (to me) recipe, this light bread seems like it would be a perfect accompaniment to salmon, which the hosts are serving, so I’m very tempted to roll the dice on it. Excellent work as always, Benny.

1 Like

AG this bread is wonderful I’m so glad I finally tried it. As you know I modified slightly Martin’s recipe because I wanted some olive oil in it and also thought doing bassinage was a good idea. I think I might be able to get this over 100% next time with bassinage. I look forward to your bake. Do a half batch like I did today or tomorrow to practice before the dinner party.
Benny

1 Like

Saturday test bake is a great idea, I’m going to do that for sure :+1:

1 Like

Martin’s post Pan de Cristal Recipe | King Arthur Baking
Martin’s video Pan De Cristal (100% Hydration Spanish Glass Bread) is an Airy Crunchy Dream - YouTube
I’m not sure you saw these or not.
Benny

Your loaves look amazing! I’m glad to hear the Ankarsrum worked well with this recipe.

I just watched the video on King Arthur’s YouTube channel last night, and I was wondering if using a mixer would hurt the structure of the dough. From the looks of your loaves, that most definitely was not the case. I also thought bassinage might help me, as I sometimes struggle getting structure in higher hydration doughs.

I do have one question, though. What do you think the olive oil added to the dough and final loaves?

1 Like

I was concerned that using the mixer might compromise the open crumb. However, I think if we mix to the minimum that it shouldn’t. The Ankarsrum Assistent also seems to be quite gentle with the dough. Bassinage is definitely the way to go with high hydration doughs, if you try to mix at the high hydration from the start, it will be a huge pain to try to get the gluten development that you want. That being said, Martin Philip did exactly that, he mixed at 100% hydration from the start and his Pan de Cristal look incredible so for this low intervention dough it can apparently work. I tried to compensate by only doing 3 folds while he did five, that way my dough had a longer time in the bowl undisturbed.

I think that the olive oil does add flavour to the bread as well and making the crumb even softer and more moist.

1 Like

Saturday ended up being busier than expected so I didn’t start the test bake until after 4 pm and then had to start agin when I was unable to adequately develop the gluten by hand. Scaling the formula down to half, I mixed all the dry ingredients with 80% of the water in my Ankarsrum and bassinaged the remaining water (about 5 or 6 additions, I believe) at low speed. I cranked it up between additions two or three times (at intervals when the dough contained no unincorporated water), just until I could see some extensibility, and then dialed it back down and proceeded with the next water addition. My goal was only to emulate the gluten development that could be expected from the initial hand mix (albeit a much stronger one than I was able to pull off), and I tried to be mindful that the dough still had a bowl fold and 4 coil folds ahead of it. After the initial machine mix, I simply proceeded with Martin’s formula starting with the 20 minute rest and bowl folds, and all proceeded as expected.

When the bread finally came out of the oven it looked as expected, maybe slightly less puffy than I’d hoped and the holes, while big and open, weren’t as big as the ones in Martin’s loaves. TBH, I prefer it this way. The crumb was open, pearly, and translucent and the crust was shatteringly crisp. It also must be said that the eating quality is wonderful – great flavor and contrasting textures with the custardy crumb and thin, crisp crust. I ended up having to brush off some excess flour after baking, so for today’s “real bake,” I’ll be more juducious with the bench flour.

As I write this, I’m working on the full recipe of Pan de Cristal for the dinner party and am struggling to coil fold a kilogram of super wet dough. No issues last night on the half recipe. My hands are on the small side so I can really only handle a small portion of the dough at a time and I’m afraid some of it is not being adequately worked. There was a fair amount of tearing from the dough’s own weight in the first couple coil folds, until I figured out how to do it without ripping it. Hopefully this won’t ruin the bread for the party. Going forward, I think I need to work in smaller batches…

3 Likes

AG your Pan de Cristal looks amazing to me. I’m with you, I actually prefer a more closed than super open crumb for eating. The super open super holey crumb is great for Instagram though. This bread really is great for eating isn’t it? Your crumb is so shiny and beautiful to look at!
Benny

1 Like

I think with Pan de Cristal bread if you want to spread anything on it then slicing it horizontally is the way to go. Hot toasted Pan de Crystal with peanut butter melting through that holey crumb would be delicious.

Lovely bake, Benny.

1 Like

Lovely delicious looking Pan de Crystal bread @anothergirl

1 Like

Thank you, Benny! I was really happy with the test loaves. I’ll have to make it a few more times to get comfortable with it though, especially at 1000g, but the bread is so delicious I won’t mind practicing.

I just shaped the 4 loaves for tonight and it’s clear that today’s coil folds were less effective than last night’s. Also, I tried not to overdo it on the bench flour and may have underdone it, so it was a sticky flowing beast! It eventually made it onto the parchment, though, and it is now very bubbly and holding its shape, so I think (hope?) it will come out alright. Fingers and toes crossed!

1 Like

Thank you, Abe! I appreciate that, especially coming from such a fine baker as yourself :slightly_smiling_face:!

P.S. Melted peanut butter on toast !! :yum: Grew up on that stuff!

1 Like

Oh that sounds delicious, or even better with almond butter yumm.

Bubbly sounds excellent, I’m sure they be quite the hit! Enjoy your dinner party AG.

I will be trying this recipe in two weeks. I have already put recipe from Martin Phillip in spreadsheet. I saw the YouTube Video. One change I will make is use fresh yeast instead of instant yeast, Then next month I will try making sourdough version of recipe,

1 Like

Excellent Bob, I look forward to your bake of this amazing bread.

1 Like