Palestinian-Style Turmeric Bread

My test run this week was Palestinian-Style Turmeric Bread from the September-October 2022 issue of Milk Street Magazine. I made a minor modification to use fresh yeast instead of instant yeast. Reason I did this is I now prefer to use fresh yeast. For the volume measurements ingredients I weighed then so that I could calculate baker’s precent and have formula in grams so that I can scale up accordingly to how much dough I wish to make. Flavour of this bread is nice but I should have done the final proofing longer than 30 minutes. Based on my home temperature at time final proofing was going on I should have proofed 1 hour to 1 &1/2 hours so that the round loafs would have been higher in height.

Looks tasty. Are those nigella seeds?

Yes and black sesame seeds.

1 Like

That looks delicious Bob. I haven’t tried turmeric in any bread yet, but the combination with those seeds sounds great.
Benny

Hi Benito, I have attached the baker’s precent from milk street recipe. In their recipe they use instant yeast so instant yeast would be 33% of fresh yeast. As per recipe the aniseed and Nigella seeds were coarse ground.

1 Like

How can I get the full recipe??. I just saw the video from 177milk street today and would like to make it.

Here is link from MilkStreet. If you don’t have milk street account let me know.

Hey Bob! I have recently come across this recipe and I would love to make it in my little corner of the grocery store bakery. Do you still have access to the Milk Street recipe? I can make a lot of educated guesses with the given ingredients but I would love to see the process that you used. I know this is almost a year after your last post on here but I’m really looking forward to making this!

I took photo of recipe. I still have my account for MilkStreet.

2 Likes

Oh man this is awesome, thank you so much! I can’t wait to make this for our store, I think it’s going to go over really well here. Do you have any tips or adjustments from the recipe as written?

What I do is enter on to spreadsheet then put codes for auto calculate weights needed for amount of dough I wish to make. I also have baker’s percent calculated
In ensure weights are correct.