Pain Au Levain Moderne

This week’s bread is another bread from Leader’s, “Living Bread.” described as, “A large (1.5 kg) rustic loaf in the tradition of Poilâne,” but with a liquid starter and a cool temperature long fermentation, it has a mild sour flavor. The flour is 91% French T-65 (such lovely flour) and 9% rye. I baked this large loaf in my Breadtopia Hearth Baker, essentially a clay baker interpretation of a cast iron Challenger Breadware at a fraction of the weight (and cost) and has become my favorite baking vessel. At 89% hydration, it was a very wet and sticky dough and I had some difficulty shaping it very tightly. The flavor is subtle and very nice.

Richard

2 Likes

That’s a lovely combo I imagine. Liquid starter, enough rye for that extra flavour and a long cool ferment. You’re brave to handle 89% hydration. That’s very difficult. But it turned out great and looks delicious. Another wonderful bake Richard. I’ve never tried a Leader recipe. You have convinced me!

Thanks, Abe. His recipes are based on breads from bakeries he visited in France, Germany and Italy, plus he has interesting stories about the bakers.
Richard

Another wonderful bake Richard. At 89% hydration for that combination of flours I’m amazed that it isn’t a pancake, really well done.
Benny

Looks delicious and it’s so cool to see a batard miche in the hearth baker!

@Benito Thanks Benny. If I bake it again, I’ll cut back on the water a bit so that I can shape it a little tighter.

@Fermentada Thanks, Melissa. I love the Hearth Baker as it’s so versatile.
Richard

1 Like