Oland Wheat

Hello,
I returned from my Scandinavian vacation with the heritage Øland wheat flour (sifted & corse).
I very exicted to use this old nutritious variety in sourdough bread baking. And when goggling i found a few information how to use it.
I’m thinking to blend it with strong bread flour.
Anybody experimented this flour before?

I’d recommend the finer flour and holding back on some water at first which can always be added in later if the dough needs it.

1 Like

Thank you.

Finally I tried 30% Øland wheat flour following classic artisan sourdough bread recipe from the breadtopia cookbook. In this bake, i haven’t tasted special knots, i might give it another try with a higher percentage & hydration.

1 Like

Your bread looks delicious! It would be nice to hear how you found its baking and handling qualities and the flavor as well. Thank you for posting about this heritage wheat :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thank you. :blush:
As a first trial i played safe and used a 30%. This amount wasn’t difficult in handling, bit sticky like whole wheat when shaping.
The only thing that concerned me, that i couldn’t recognize a special flavor.

1 Like

That is a beautiful crumb and slice/loaf shape.

1 Like

I totally know what you mean. Some grains have a milder flavor that require a higher percentage, but that of course can bring different issues. I usually purchase in small amounts until I know if I like a particular variety and have sometimes used my entire supply before finding the sweet spot. (I make my test loaves small these days, haha!) Anyway, lovely bread and interesting to hear about this variety. Thank you for posting. Happy New Year!

1 Like

Thank you.

Happy New year :fireworks: :pray: :blossom: