No-Knead Sourdough Rye

Tried my first No-Knead Sourdough Rye this week. Turned out pretty well I think. A great mix of Rye and “sour”. Nice texture. I don’t know why the crust developed the “jig-saw” pattern that it did, but it’s nice and crunchy on the outside; tender on the inside.

Basic No-Knead Sourdough Recipe
2 cups regular Bread flour
2 cups Organic Rye flour
3/4 cup freshly fed Sourdough Starter
1 1/4 cup warm water
21 hours first rise/proof
1 1/2 hours second proof
Baked in La Cloche with Breadtopia preferred method

1 Like

It looks very nice!
a bit too dense for me, but I do’nt use other flour than rhye.
In French we call it ‘tourte de seigle’, so a tart.
Because there is no kneading in fact, rather mixing.
I think I will try other specialities also, with this bread.

Thank you for your comments Minnie!

That crust looks great! I need to start experimenting with different flours. I make the basic no knead sourdough regularly, and I love the deep flavour.

Thank you Maireg! I really depend upon the no knead sourdough recipe regularly too. I’ve had fun experimenting with different flours as well. This site is a great place to get new ideas. And the La Cloche stoneware for baking has made a nice difference in my loaves and crusts. Blessings on your baking!

1 Like

What do you do between stages 1 and 2? And how long at what temperature to cook?

Hi Susi,

I pretty much follow the instructions that you’ll see for the No-Knead Sourdough process in the Breadtopia tutorial. http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-bread/
For the first rise (18-21 hours), I cover the bowl tightly with Saran/Plastic wrap, and leave it at room temperature. For second proof/rise, I use a ratan/wicker proofing basket as in the video, and let proof/rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
I bake in the La Cloche stoneware/clay baker. But, unlike in the tutorial, I preheat both the dome and base for thirty (30) minutes at 250 degrees, and then place the proofed dough on the base. As soon as I’ve loaded the dough on the preheated base and put on the lid, I increase the oven temp to 450 degrees. I baked for 45 minutes, and then use a good instant-read baking thermometer to check the temperature. The loaf is done when the internal temperature of the loaf is about 200-210 degrees. Usually, after 45 minutes, I remove the La Cloche lid, and bake the bread uncovered for an additional 10 minutes to get an extra crispiness to the crust.

I usually use a sprinkling of Corn Meal, instead of Wheat Bran (as in the video), on my proofing basket to prevent the dough from sticking. I also use a sprinkling of Corn Meal in the base of my La Cloche baker.

The recipe in the video can be used with different types of flour. I used two cups organic Rye and two cups regular bread flour t this time for the Sourdough Rye. I used 1 1/4 cup warm water and 3/4 cup freshly fed sourdough starter. (Fed the day before and left at room temperature overnight to ferment). I may try using only 1/2 cup of Sourdough Starter next time, just to compare how it turns out, texture-wise.

Hope this helps! This tutorial is great! You can experiment on the basic recipe with different flours as I said. Happy baking! and thanks Breadtopia!

Daisy
Thanks so much! Perfect
I shall give it a go!

Great! Good luck! I’m going to try 2 cups organic sprouted Wheat flour and 2 cups organic Spelt flour next and see what happens! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your ideas and help. After playing around with starters, and finally happy with the rye starter, I finished my second try with this recipe. Although there is some flavor I’m not thrilled with (perhaps the molasses or fennel? not sure), and I think I need a more narrow dutch over, I am overall quite pleased

Next time I think I will try honey/cocoa powder in place of the molasses. Anyway, thanks for everyones help here!
Alana

1 Like