No knead bread burnt bottom

Hello all, just signed up with breadtopia.com and this is my first post. I was never a baker, but now started Corona No knead bread. On my 6th or 7th loaf. I have made regular, rye, cinnamon raisin and have been getting better on each one. First thing I did was buy an oven thermometer. This helped, I need a new oven, but all in due time. Anyway, the bottom of my first no knead was burnt, not bad, but enough. It was very thick on bottom also. Next time I adjusted the temp, with my crappy oven, who knows if the temp went up or down, hello new stove, all in due time. I use a LeCreuset 5.5 round porcelain enameled DO. Each time the bread would get better, but still not good enough. As I am writing this, I have a loaf rising, quick recipe, and am going to put a sheet pan on the rack just below DO. For those of you wondering, I can’t put DO directly on sheet pan. Does anyone have any other tips for me, the absolute beginner baker? Oh, I preheat oven with DO in at 450, put bread in and lower to 425 for 25-35 min, uncover, bake at 400 for 15 or so, I eyeball. I hope that I haven’t forgotten to add anything, oh yeah, have my eye on an LG double oven. Thanks no knead bread for making me realize that I need a new stove.

Hi, welcome. It may or may not help you, but I do double up on the parchment paper in the bottom of the DO. Seems like a small thing, but that works well for me.

Good luck.

Hi Ryan, thanks for your input. After searching for what seemed like all day, I did exactly what you said, it worked. I was thrilled. I folded parchment into a square that fit on the bottom of DO, and I also put a sheet pan on the rack directly below. Came out perfectly.

3 Likes

@traceyjessie : Sounds like you have your problem solved, but here’s another tip, especially if you bake frequently. I had the same problem when I first began and solved it by using the round flat portion of a common spring form baking pan—the round thing with the clip on the side.

I just put the flat portion down inside my DO (with the rim down so the slight cup is facing down), hence a tiny airspace between the flat pan and the bottom of the DO.

Shazaam…no more burnt bottoms.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip. Sounds like a great idea.

Hi I am somewhat new to no knead bread, I am having difficulty transferring my dough from my proofing basket which is round with the bamboo. I have a round clay baker. When I preheat the clay baker and put the dough into the round baker it doesn’t dump into the clay baker.it is very difficult to transfer.should I be able to lift it out of the basket or turn it into the baker.

Another question is whether I am using the best flour King Author. The bread taste ok but not delicious. How do I get that delicious flavor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

I don’t think think there’s one right process for getting the dough from the proofing basket to the hot baker. I’m currently a fan of flipping the dough out onto parchment paper and then lifting the parchment and placing it into the baker. You can pre-crumple and then smooth out the parchment paper to prevent it from denting your dough/bread.

Prior to my parchment-loving stage, I floured my right palm, dumped the dough onto it, and then carefully used both hands to place the dough into the baker.

Here’s an FAQ on getting more sourness into your bread, if that’s your main flavor goal:

I like to explore all the neat flavors of wheat, and other grains too, so I used at least 20% and up to 100% fresh-milled flour in my breads. This adds vitamins and minerals, fiber, protein and fat, and last but not least: flavor.

Here are two articles about different flour and wheat varieties and about fresh milling flour at home.